Correct speedo

Singles, twins and fours.
Norm Emerson

Correct speedo

Post by Norm Emerson »

Hi, rebuilding my 1956 nh I I was fitting the new speedo cable from Draganfly and discovered that the speedo that came in the box of bits with the bike is a cheep Indian type and the cable will not fit.
Can anyone tell me the correct speedo for the bike or where I might get a cable for the Indian speedo!
Writen on the face of the speedo is.....Smiths S.467/59/L
It's a 120mph face. Also the square drive hole at the back is a lot smaller than the new cable and the theaded part to screw the new cable on is a lot bigger than the cable at 18mm. Outside dia.
Any suggestions please
Norm
Pete.Silson
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: Correct speedo

Post by Pete.Silson »

Ariel Speedos 1954-58.jpg
kevin.mcdiarmid

Post by kevin.mcdiarmid »

dont know where you are but Vintage British Cables in Medicine Hat Alberta Canada makes identical OEM cables and rebuild all the Smiths Instruments
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

There's at least one place here in Australia where Custom and OEM cables are available to order for CARS & BIKES. Nev
Roger.Baker

Post by Roger.Baker »

Hitchcocks, www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com will sell you a cable to fit your Indian speedo head.
Roger
fpassmore

Post by fpassmore »

I discovered these Indian made speedos a few years ago then found out they need a specially made cable which I also got from Hitchcocks. Speedos were cheap but then all savings were lost on buying cables. Buying anything from India is a gamble and rarely works out right I rebuilt a Bullet with India made pistons three times and finally broke down and got a well made one from Hitchcocks which has worked out a treat.
Frank
'51 SQ4, '56 NH, '56 VH, '37 VH500 Red Hunter, '56 SQ4 (basket case), '49 Sq4 (basket case), '48 A7 BSA Twin, 12 other BSA's, 9 Norton's, 2 Triumph's, 3 Ducati's and 3 Japanese. Just crazed is all my problem is.
Brian_Walker
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Brian_Walker »

I purchased an Indian speedo that was supplied with the correct thread for a normal Ariel speedo cable, check them most are for Royal Enfield’s and are not suitable. The other issues is they all have the drive in the center and my VCH has the speedo mounted in the yolk on the top or the forks, the cable is not offset from centre and runs into the headlight and headrace. I 3D printed spacer ring to lift the speedo about 40mm to clear everything. Works well and is accurate enough from 15 to 60 MPH, haven’t run the engine in yet so can’t comment on higher speeds. (speedo reads to 120 mph but the fastest confirmed speed before converting the bike to street trim was 108 mph through the speed trap on Bathurst race course's conrod straight) It blew up on the next lap and I didn’t get a speed but it was running close to 8000 rpm before the piston collapsed so I wontbe testing much higher than the 60mph now.
speedo.jpg
1951-52 VCH under restoration
Norm Emerson

Post by Norm Emerson »

Thanks to you all for the info. I live in Northumberland UK so it looks like it will have to be mail order as always for parts!
Thanks again for the help Norm
Julian Murphy

Post by Julian Murphy »

Norm.

Bit of an elegant bodge, but could you not make a threaded sleeve, in something like nylon, inside thread to suit the speedo, outside thread to suit the cable?
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi, there is speedy cables who make cables etc they was in north london but they have moved out of london