Two LF questions

Anything about Ariels
JohnLay
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Two LF questions

Post by JohnLay »

Two questions (1) What is the correct size for the primary drive chain? and (2) what should the oil pressure be? I ran the machine on a set of electric rollers for some time and the oil pressure came up to 7 or 8 lbs. according to the tank mounted gauge. However the oil return viewed through the oil tank filler seamed somewhat intermittent. More investigation needed perhaps? Thanks.
volker.halbach
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Two LF questions

Post by volker.halbach »

Hi John,

As to (2), to my knowledge your LF has already the standard set up. The oil pressure is created by a valve in the timing chest. This can be adjusted, but its only purpose is to create pressure to give a reading on the gauge. You only have to do something if there is no reading or the reading is too high. Intermittent oil return sounds right, especially with cold oil. I don't think you have reason to worry.
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi i don't think the rollers turns the engine over fast enough you need to have the engine running and warm to see what the oil pressure is but what you are getting on the rollers is good and would not worry, as Wolker says
will_curry
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by will_curry »

John,

I'm with Volker on the oil pressure.

According to my notes the size of the primary and secondary chains increased for 1930 from 1/2" x 0.205" (3/16") to
1/2" x 0.305" (5/16"). These correspond to Renold's 110044 and 110046.

110044 IS NOT 420 - the rollers are bigger in the latter.

I don't think there will be many bikes with the smaller chain left. My 1929 LF, last on the road in 1963 already has
the larger chains if it ever had the smaller.
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

Scavenge pumps have much more capacity than the delivery pump and you always get intermittent bubbles except immediately after start-up. Upping the oil pressure only "loads up" the pump and may reduce flow, particularly when hot. Enough to see the needle move and pulse at idle is satisfactory.The Opposite of what's going on in a plain bearing motor with a relief valve . Nev
jannickz

Post by jannickz »

Unfortunately, I cannot definitively answer your questions without more information about your specific 1972 Harley Davidson Sportster. The correct size for the primary drive chain and the ideal oil pressure can vary depending on the exact model and engine configuration.

[admin 19/02/2024 - this is from a clever spamming programme, account now deleted]
JohnLay
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by JohnLay »

Harley Davidson? Did you mean to answer this thread? An LF is a 1930 250cc single.
chris.shearwood

Post by chris.shearwood »

JohnLay wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:27 pm Harley Davidson? Did you mean to answer this thread? An LF is a 1930 250cc single.
That answer may come from Chat GBT (Artificial Intelligence). I don't know why someone would do that on this Forum.
1946 4G and 1951 VH
Vincent.vanGinneke

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

mixed up with a answer he wanted to give on a HD forum that uses the same lay-out ?