Are all Burman covers the same?

Bikes or not. Whatever
rick king

Are all Burman covers the same?

Post by rick king »

Kickstart jammed, it's been bad for a while[long while]. I have a swingarm VB.

I was going to cut a hole in a cover so I can see whats going on.

I was just about to pull the trigger[ebay trigger] on a five quid cover, a cover that looked suitably
manky that I won't feel guilty chopping it up. Then I realised it only had five bolt holes, not that I
knew how many was in mine but the big gap between bolts didn't look good.

So has the cover got to be from a GB box and has it got to be from an Ariel?
will_curry
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: Are all Burman covers the same?

Post by will_curry »

Not all GB outer covers are the same - it will need to come from an Ariel but not an HT Ariel.

Most problems with the kickstart jamming are to do with wear on the first teeth of the kickstart
quadrant. There are a number of threads already on this forum so you may find a search
turns up more information.
pete.collings

Post by pete.collings »

The outer cover on GB boxes fitted to AJS/Matchless models (1956/7 ) is the same as the HT cover, the original GB box fitted to a VB is likely to be a GB6/GB40 depending on the year, but the outer cover is the same.
rick king

Post by rick king »

will_curry wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:52 pm Not all GB outer covers are the same - it will need to come from an Ariel but not an HT Ariel.

Most problems with the kickstart jamming are to do with wear on the first teeth of the kickstart
quadrant. There are a number of threads already on this forum so you may find a search
turns up more information.
I thought wear on the cut down tooth was most likely the cause of the problem, enough wear that the cut down tooth doesn't rotate the pinion enough for the next quadrant tooth to mesh with it. I am expecting[hoping] wear on the the leading edge of the cut down tooth, but I haven't looked at the quadrant and pinion to see if that is the case. Rather than measure the centres and mock it up. I figured it must be possible to pop a hole in a cover so I can see the teeth meshing. If possible I will build the first tooth up so it moves the pinion a bit more.

Anyway I now have an Ariel cover from ebay just got to find the roundtuit.
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi i change all the parts with new parts to do with the kickstart on my GB box after trying everything that the members suggested and it still kept jamming :? :( until i change the outer cover now it is ok :D :D
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

Can't you just set that all up without the cover on and check how it meshes. Sometimes there's misalignment between the bush in the cover and the inner one if you have Swapped the outer case. Nev