1934 Ariel - in need of slight attention

Paul Slootheer
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: 1934 Ariel - in need of slight attention

Post by Paul Slootheer »

I also came across this 1949 frame a few months ago in my search for a frame for my new project. This 1949 frame on ebay looks very nice, and I think the frame number is genuine and no re stamp. I did contact the seller, but the asking price was firm and and way to expensive for me. I managed to find another frame from Jørgen Andersen in Denmark…
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Roger Gwynn »

The stamping does look a bit too neat, but supposing it is correct this bike was last heard of, as a bike in 1990, in Kent when it still had its original engine DJ 1927 a 1949 NG. I can only assume Mr KimyKim knows the registration number as Swansea do not look up frame numbers, they claim they are not able to but that is plainly ridiculous for a database. The reg was UMT 665, which is not on Swansea.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Swansea and frame numbers....
I've had a lot of discussions with DVLA folk about this over the years, having spent several decades working with databases.
A few years ago I was given the nugget of info that the problem (then at any rate) was that the screens that the DVLA staff had to use to access the system didn't have anywhere to let them do a search by anything other than registration number. (And as that system is outsourced they can't nip along to a tame database person to ask for something 'under the counter'.)
However, I've seen reports (maybe on this Forum?) that applications for age-related registrations get all the numbers cross referenced so at that point someone might get told that someone else owns their machine.... :roll: :mrgreen:

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
Paul Gasson
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Paul Gasson »

May I just add that I have had a lengthy period of discussion with DVLA regarding my project during this year and they do seem to have a way of searching by VIN (chassis) number now. I originally provided the documentation for an age related number as my bike came to me with no documents, but when they checked, the VIN (actually complete bike) was already on the system, so I then had to apply for transfer of keeper. I think they can do it in some circumstances.