how to install big end thrust washers VH, HS HT models

Singles, twins and fours.
Gary Inglis

how to install big end thrust washers VH, HS HT models

Post by Gary Inglis »

Hello
I'm looking for info on how the big end thrust washers 1180-56 were mounted on the flywheels on the 57-58 VH and HT and HS trials models. I cant find any parts diagrams showing the washers. I understand the flywheels were recessed to fit the washers, but was this a press fit, or a loose fit, or was a retaining compound used to hold the washers in place, or were they simply allowed to rotate.
Thanks
Gary
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: how to install big end thrust washers VH, HS HT models

Post by Roger Gwynn »

They were just loose in a recess in the flywheels, though presumably a snug fit on the crank pin, long time since I saw them. We do have a drawing of the flywheel showing a recess of .148/.151" deep by 2-5/16" diameter. A 1-1/2" diameter recess .015/.02" deep was also added. The copy of the drawing is rather poor and difficult to read, I can dig out the original and confirm if you want accurate info. I may have details of the washers at work.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
Gary Inglis

Re: how to install big end thrust washers VH, HS HT models

Post by Gary Inglis »

Thanks Roger
Ah, now I understand how the stock parts fit together
I'll be using a new needle roller crankpin so i'll have to get some washers made to suit.
Thanks for your help
Gary