Possible gearbox case crack or not ?

Singles, twins and fours.
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: Possible gearbox case crack or not ?

Post by nevhunter »

With a grease and oil mix. I run the bike on the rear stand in top gear with the filler off and check the mix is churning and fill till it does. Modern engine oils do not suit gearboxes any more. The earlier gear oils contained sulphur, chlorine and Lead compounds for anti scuffing mainly on Hypoid type diffs. Buy from a reliable source or mix your own if you know what you are doing. Grease is only a SOAP (stearate) usually Lithium based and is just there to hold an oil and stop it leaking out. Non flowing grease will channel and not get into plain bushes reliably. Nev
Brian_Walker
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Brian_Walker »

Gary
Penrite Semi Fluid / Steering Box Lube works fine and available in the Shaky Isles.
Brian
1951-52 VCH under restoration
fpassmore
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by fpassmore »

Hmmm, funny how this drifts into an oil discussion…… on this side of the pond someone from the hotrod club recently advised me to try John Deere Corn Box oil although rated as an ep0 he assured me it works very well. I might have to get a bit as the ep00 oil available where I am only comes in 20 litre buckets and I am certain I do not need that much on hand!
Frank
'51 SQ4, '56 NH, '56 VH, '37 VH500 Red Hunter, '56 SQ4 (basket case), '49 Sq4 (basket case), '48 A7 BSA Twin, 12 other BSA's, 9 Norton's, 2 Triumph's, 3 Ducati's and 3 Japanese. Just crazed is all my problem is.
chris.shearwood
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by chris.shearwood »

Hi Frank,
I think that is Corn Head grease you are talking about.
https://www.greenpartstore.com/John-Dee ... 02562.html
regards, Chris
1946 4G and 1951 VH
fpassmore

Post by fpassmore »

Right, it is the gearbox for the corn head reaper is what he said but the description is good so far and I can always thin it out a bit more with some oil is it feels a little too tacky.
Frank
'51 SQ4, '56 NH, '56 VH, '37 VH500 Red Hunter, '56 SQ4 (basket case), '49 Sq4 (basket case), '48 A7 BSA Twin, 12 other BSA's, 9 Norton's, 2 Triumph's, 3 Ducati's and 3 Japanese. Just crazed is all my problem is.