New Project

Paul Slootheer
Holder of a Silver Anorak

New Project

Post by Paul Slootheer »

Today I received my rigid frame that I bought couple of weeks ago. I guess it’s a later rigid frame. My intention is to build this up with a 1940 VG engine, BA gearbox, and some other parts laying around.
It looks that Ariel did alter some things over the years on their frames. As you can see on the pictures the lug which connects the top frame tube and the lower one has gone instead they welded(?) the joint. Also the saddle spring lugs where changed to welded on(?) items. The same for the rear mudguard mounting on the frame.
Who on this forum can tell when Ariel changed these things?
Attachments
IMG_1631.jpeg
2b4d8877-bbd6-4d78-a04d-ffb5e3557b5d.jpeg
7434a956-cbb5-4d96-b918-65d8d7a152a2.jpeg
IMG_1628.jpeg
IMG_1629.jpeg
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: New Project

Post by Roger Gwynn »

The very last frames made in 1954-55 used some fabricated lugs, especially the ones you list. They started doing this with the rigid HT frame that is mostly fabricated. The lugs for the 0604 rear mudguard bridge to frame are the same as the pieces used for the right pillion lug and for the right 'P' clip.
The side stand lug is odd in that it is the 1953-58 type but in the position of the 1948-52 one.
What is the frame number?
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
Paul Slootheer

Post by Paul Slootheer »

Just looked upon the website from Andy Tiernan’s which incorporates a very helpfull archive of sold bikes. There’s also long list of sold Ariels, one of them a 1953 VB. This motorcycle looks ‘frame wise’ exactly the same as the frame I recently bought, so with the same lugs and position of side stand. But I was realy speechless to find out that this machine’s frame number is just 1 Digit above the frame I bought :o :o Clearly from the same batch, did get some ‘needle in a haystack’ feeling, but I did find the needle!!!😀
https://www.andybuysbikes.com/archivehtml/7038arl.html
Paul Slootheer

Post by Paul Slootheer »

The big chunks are fitting in very nicely, no distortion etc.:D Frame is now ready, the gearbox is overhauled, engine cases glass bead blasted etc. So I'ts going in the right direction. I'am quite suprised how many small details Ariel changed at the end on their rigid frames...
Attachments
1953Ariel.jpg
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi Paul it is coming along well and looking very, nice keep up the good work :) 8-)
Paul Slootheer

Post by Paul Slootheer »

Thank you Johnny! :D Also managed to find the rear and front wheel as well and a set of 1949>1950 frontforks. Discovered that a 350 petrol tank will not fit on the frame as the mounting lugs of the saddle are aprox. 1/2" up to the front! So it must be fitted with a 500 petrol tank, if I can find one...
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

As it was in the picture, your piston is back to front. Nev
Paul Slootheer

Post by Paul Slootheer »

Dismantled, and just as I found this engine Nev…
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

It turns out that the side stand lug is not odd, it is just that I had not noticed that the 1953-55 rigid/plunger stand lug was much further back than on the s/arm frames. Your frame, like Andy's, was originally a VB and also went to Denmark, the day after yours.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
Paul Slootheer

Post by Paul Slootheer »

Thank you for this information Roger!