VH500 running rich

Anything about Ariels
Peter Fletcher

Re: VH500 running rich

Post by Peter Fletcher »

I had a similar problem. It turned out that whilst the pilot jet seemed to be tight it wasn’t seating properly. As a result the carb was impossible to tune, very frustrating until I eventually found the cause. Worth checking.
dennis.t
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by dennis.t »

Thanks to everyone who replied.
After some lengthy investigations today I think the problem is an intermittent leak on the float needle. I noticed fuel gathering on the throttle stop presumably from the carb overfilling overnight when I left the fuel tap on deliberately.
I have replaced the float needle. Good tip about a blob of solder on the brass float to lower the fuel level as that might be necessary.
I checked the jet needle and it is a new 'c' type from Burlen.
Am I correct in assuming that all Monobloc 376 bodies with the same bore are identical? I ask because I could not get the correct carb body so I bought one with the right bore and fitted jets etc to suit the VH500 spec, as listed by Brian above.
I do have a screw on gauze air filter but it was not on the carb during this testing so that I can see what is going on (fire extinguisher at the ready!).
Dennis
1955 VH500 alloy head
1956 NH350 restoration in progress
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Roger Gwynn »

I am 90% sure that all bodies are the same but there are variations in the spray tube in the jet block, which may be included as part of the body.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
dennis.t
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by dennis.t »

Roger,
Many thanks I'll check the jet block spec on the Burlen website. The replacement float needle seems to have worked to stop the carb flooding but starting is still a lottery.
Dennis
1955 VH500 alloy head
Markaj

Post by Markaj »

Had exactly the same thing many moons ago when learning the black art of keeping old wrecks on the road. It would run - sort of, enough to get me to the pub, even if it did eight stroke a bit.
The solution - I'd left out a paper washer that the jet block sits on in the carb body. I think the old one fell to bits when I'd stripped the carb down & got forgotten, & not replaced.
So if you have stripped the carb, did you remember the paper washer?!
dennis.t
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by dennis.t »

Yes I did thank you. I replaced all of the gaskets and washers and the flange O ring. Having stopped the carb flooding I have not had a chance to run the engine yet.
Dennis
1955 VH500 alloy head