1930 LF

Anything about Ariels
JohnLay
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: 1930 LF

Post by JohnLay »

All this with the brake peddle is a bit of side issue as only wanted to take it off so I could remove the primary drive cover. But something would have had to be done sooner later, so why not now.
IMG_20231112_153813456~2.jpg
There was just enough of the original thread left to get slim nut on and while I was about it I drilled and tapped the end of the support for a grease nipple.
Not that drilling and tapping was that easy as whatever it was made of was more that just bit on the hard side.
JohnLay
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by JohnLay »

Spent some time on the magneto, new HT pick-up brush, remove the points assembly, cleaned the points, make sure the little carbon brush was free in it's holder and cleaned the track it runs on. After all of this I was reworded by a spark, not a very good , but a spark none the less. I had previously cleaned out the carburettor so with a little petrol in the float chamber I gave it kick. Nothing much happened until I realized that on this machine advance was "tight wire" after which it started. Didn't run for very long of course, but long enough to inspire me to press. on.
JohnLay
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by JohnLay »

A look in the oil tank showed a considerable lack of any, and wondering where it had all gone I removed the sump plate expecting that's where it might be. But surprisingly nothing came out. That wasn't the only thing missing, should there not be a gauze filter here?
IMG_20231114_160944721~2.jpg
While the plate was I decided that I would fit a drain plug, nothing more that drilling a hole and brazing a ⅜" nut on and screwing in a suitable set-screw with a fibre washer.
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Roger Gwynn »

Yes there should be a gauze to stop bricks from circulating with the oil.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
JohnLay
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by JohnLay »

Spent the day doing one of my least favourite tasks, tyre changing. Both tyres were of the "Block Tread" pattern with the rear being just about at the end of it's useful life. The front was somewhat better and maybe could have done a turn on the rear, but as I had a Avon Speed master front to hand and I had also ordered a new rear, both front and rear were changed.
IMG_20231119_161047832.jpg
The original rear lower, the original front, upper and the new rear centre.
An earlier photo of the machine taken 1983 showed that which seamed to be same tyre fitted even then, time for new I think.
JohnLay
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by JohnLay »

Not a lot of progress of late as a number of things ordered in some cases of more than two weeks ago have so far failed to arrive. One thing that did arrive was a 19 tooth plate-wheel, not really ready for for it, but might as well make a start.

IMG_20231130_153507471~2.jpg

Using an old sprocket given to me by an Ariel forum member (thank you Mr. Coleman) both the plate-wheel and sprocket were drilled and taped as required and then screwed together. The old sprocket acting a guide to form the splines on the new. No doubt it will need a little more "fettling" when I come to fit it on the gearbox output shaft. But I will worry about that when I get that far. In the meantime it was just something to be getting on with.
JohnLay
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by JohnLay »

The brass mesh ordered some time ago turned up at last.
Oil Gauze.jpg
Here is my effort at fabricating a replacement oil gauze filter, not possibly as elegant as the original but no one is going to see it and I don't have any reason to think it won't work just as well. As Rroger Gwynn says it should "stop bricks circulating in the oil".
JohnLay
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by JohnLay »

Today's task fit a battery just to see if the lights work (yes, they did as it happens).

IMG_20231221_153222306.jpg

Not a very elegant solution I admit, but not having any idea what the original set-up looked like it will have to do for now. A bolt through the base of the carrier meant that the battery would not sit correctly so it needed a pad underneath. Also the replacement battery it would seem is not as tall as the original, a piece of rubber tubing the top retaining bar does the job. May-be I will make up a box of suable dimensions in due coarse.
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

The brass mesh needs a close fitting brass ferule soldered in the hole. (Good fit on the copper pipe which can be bent a little to line up if needed). Nev.
Will.H

Post by Will.H »

JohnLay wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:17 pm Spent the day doing one of my least favourite tasks, tyre changing. Both tyres were of the "Block Tread" pattern with the rear being just about at the end of it's useful life. The front was somewhat better and maybe could have done a turn on the rear, but as I had a Avon Speed master front to hand and I had also ordered a new rear, both front and rear were changed.

IMG_20231119_161047832.jpg

The original rear lower, the original front, upper and the new rear centre.
An earlier photo of the machine taken 1983 showed that which seamed to be same tyre fitted even then, time for new I think.
What are the tyre sizes out of interest? Currently got my eye on a LF for sale and it’ll want tyres before much use.