VH 500 1957 /Watsonian Monza Mk1 combo

D.Attwood

VH 500 1957 /Watsonian Monza Mk1 combo

Post by D.Attwood »

Reluctantly, I will be selling my inherited VH Combination.

I am currently looking for sensible offers and/or approx. Valuations.

The bike, was running, but has been laid up for a number of years. The Amal was flooding when I last tried to fire her up. So decided to refurb the carb with new jets, needle etc. However the flooding problem is not yet resolved (hence is not in the photos, as still removed) . There is compression and a spark, no battery (but the faux battery case is present) So a prospective buyer would have to assume non runner, but am confident a little fettling would get her running.
Paintwork on the bike is ok, a vew chips, the tank paintwork is ok, but I personally would repaint the tank. The nose fairing is brush painted as is the paintwork on the sidecar. New petrol cap. Tyres all good.

The sidecar, I believe, is a Watsonian Monza Mk1. The shell is solid, has the proper screen and a tonneau rain cover that is in surprisingly good condition, this has poppers and attaches around the screen and body. Tyre in good condition, the mudguard could do with a repaint. All the fixtures and fittings to secure the sidecar to the VH are genuine Watsonian.

It has been garaged since my father acquired it in 1997.
Interestingly, according to the logbook there is only 1 former keeper...meaning Dad must have bought the VH from the original owner.

The bike would need collction from Hawkinge nr. Folkestone, Kent.
I also have a 2 bike trailer that I could sell cheaply to the buyer and to facilitate transporting the vehicle home.

Any offers, enquires, idea as to a fair value and any other comment greatly received, thank you

Regards David
Attachments
20231012_134055.jpg
20231012_134042.jpg
D.Attwood

Re: VH 500 1957 /Watsonian Monza Mk1 combo

Post by D.Attwood »

More pictures...the right way round ..It seems that the pictures on the thread are 'sideways'...but when you click on those, they display correctly.
Attachments
20231012_134744.jpg
20231012_135036.jpg
20231012_134138.jpg
D.Attwood

Post by D.Attwood »

Some more
Attachments
20231012_134606.jpg
20231012_134755.jpg
D.Attwood

Post by D.Attwood »

I have spoken to a few dealers and had a few valuations.
As I dearly would like an enthusiast to own this, I will offer this for £2400, I believe that this is a very good price.
Please contact me via PM for further details,thank you
Bob.Murphy
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Bob.Murphy »

That price looks like a 'Typo' to me. If it just needs a carburettor fix then double that would still be a good price !

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH
D.Attwood

Post by D.Attwood »

Hi, thank you for the reply.
The carb issue is dealt with, I believe the new nitrile needle valve is very slightly shorter than original. A careful grind with a dremel to remove a smidge fron the casting ( the continuation of the upper screw threaded hole) in the float chamber was the cure.
However, it was sparking fine to my great disappointment....no spark...
I must have caught the 2 exit wires from the dyno...the connecting bullet connector were not soldered. That may be the only issue....poor connection..haven't had time to find out.
paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

Unless your Dad converted the bike to coil or electronic ignition, the dynamo leads have nothing to do with the spark, which comes from the magneto. The connections into the dynamo should not be soldered, incidentally, so they were correct.

I would suggest cleaning points and plug, which might get you a spark. If not, unscrew the HT lead from the magneto pickup and clean the connections there. Failing that, take off the magneto pickup (looks difficult, but easy enough with a 4BA ring spanner) then clean the slip ring with a rag whilst turning the engine over. If you use your finger to hold the rag in place you will find out whether or not there is any life in the magneto. Assuming there is, check that the brush is free on the magneto pickup before re-assembly.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
D.Attwood

Post by D.Attwood »

Paul, thank you for taking the time to offer advice, very grateful.

I will give your suggestions a try.

Kind Regards
David