E3LM Field Coil replacement

General electrical problems
bevanclark
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

E3LM Field Coil replacement

Post by bevanclark »

Hi folks,
Even though my dyno field coil resistance is within spec and the dyno will motor, I cannot get it to produce any voltage. I've cleaned the commentator and brushes carefully and am pretty sure they are ok. so think that I probably need to replace the field coil.
I am aware that there are some dodgy dyno parts on ebay etc, could someone please recommend a reliable source for a new E3LM field coil ?

Also, is it possible to refit the coil so it is not rubbing the armature without using the pole shoe expamder stipulated in the Lucas manual ?

Cheers, Bevan.
chris.shearwood
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: E3LM Field Coil replacement

Post by chris.shearwood »

Hello Bevan,
I replaced the field coil on my VH a few thousand miles ago without using an expander tool and haven't any problems with it (knock on wood!). The coil came with the correct shape. I can't recommend the supplier as it seems his on-line presence has disappeared.
1946 4G and 1951 VH
Julian Murphy
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by Julian Murphy »

I used this when I rebuilt my dynamo :

https://www.rexs-speedshop.com/product/ ... r-kit-12v/

Fitted perfectly, and 12V as well.
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Roger Gwynn »

Of course also available from your local friendly Ariel parts shop. https://draganfly.co.uk/product-categor ... e3-dynamo/
I have fitted several of these without the shoe expander. Grip body firmly in vice, not across the diameter but grip on the ends and use an impact driver to get the screws tight.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
SteveShone

Post by SteveShone »

I do wish Draganfly would show their prices inculding the VAT - it would avoid nasty suprises at checkout ;)

Steve
JoshJ

Post by JoshJ »

SteveShone wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:35 am I do wish Draganfly would show their prices inculding the VAT - it would avoid nasty suprises at checkout ;)

Steve
What's vat..one advantage of ordering from overseas... :D
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

Exactly, that is one reason they don't.

Co-incidentally Iain popped in this evening to show me a photo of a prototype dynamo field coil that they have just made because they have been having trouble getting them. They will be doing short, long, 6 and 12 volt versions.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
bevanclark
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by bevanclark »

Thanks for the helpful responses.
Looks like Draganfly are out of stock of the field coils, so I may go with Rex's unless I can find a closer supplier.
Cheers, Bevan
keith.mettam

Post by keith.mettam »

Hi Bevan,
When I changed my field coil I used a decent bolt, nut, washer and short spacer to force the shoe with coil in place against the body of the dynamo before fitting the screws with an impact driver then staking them. I held the body lightly in a vice with it supported underneath with a block of wood. The head of the bolt used to press the shoe in place I rounded off with a grinder each side so it sat in the curved body better. I did the same with the spacer to suit the shoe face. When ready I made sure the bolt etc was centrally placed on the shoe and simply tightened the nut with washer and spacer up against the shoe, checking the threaded screw holes were aligned with the body holes, until the shoe was home against the body. The screws were then fitted and staked.
(B) 12v Field coil with shoe being jacked in place.JPG
All the best with it.
Keith.
PS. I won't recommend a supplier as I have barely done any mileage with it yet and although it was a 'Lucas' replacement it is likely to be some foreign (Indian ?) pattern.
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

There look to be some here and they appear to be pre-shaped so won't need compressing to fit.
https://www.feked.com/electrical/chargi ... em/dynamo/

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)