My heirloom '53 Square 4 Mk II: Help Needed

Anything about Ariels
Chris Sealy

Re: My heirloom '53 Square 4 Mk II: Help Needed

Post by Chris Sealy »

Hi Evan. I see that your bike has a downward pointing rear brake arm. This has proven to be dangerous, Mine was the same before I modified it; and yes it is dangerous. Forewarned by an explanation on the Draganfly website, I applied the brake hard at low speed. The brake locked solid, and would not release until I pushed the bike backwards. You are now forewarned. Cheers, Chris.
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Roger Gwynn »

The rear brake should by cable in 1953, not rod, a cable shouldn't give the locking up problem because its length is not affected by suspension movement, which is what causes the problem with a rod.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

The rod will work OK as long as you change it so the lever (on the brakeplate) is 'upward pointing' not 'downward pointing'.
There's quite a bit of discussion on this on the Forum, see for example:
viewtopic.php?p=62979
viewtopic.php?t=4898

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
evan.matthews

Post by evan.matthews »

Thanks, fellas. Looks like MEK can be bought online. I'll call and run this by a mechanic who works at a local shop that specializes in old British bikes and is restoring a Square 4 himself. Will keep you updated on the progress! - Evan
1953 Ariel Square Four MKII. Dad passed and left the bike to me and I'm committed to taking good care of her. Atlanta, Georgia, USA. AOMCC Member.