Honing Bores

Richard B

Honing Bores

Post by Richard B »

Can any one advise if it is OK to hone the bores on my Ariel Arrow? I understand some two strokes have a particular finish which would be damaged by honing.
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Honing Bores

Post by Roger Gwynn »

It is normal practise to hone after a re-bore so it would be done anyway. I don't see any problem with it.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
Bob.Murphy

Post by Bob.Murphy »

Richard B wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:07 am Can any one advise if it is OK to hone the bores on my Ariel Arrow? I understand some two strokes have a particular finish which would be damaged by honing.
You're probably thinking of "Nicasil" plated bores - which can't be honed. My BMW 100 GS has them.

I think Nikasil is used to hard plate alloy barrels without the need of a steel liner, but I could be wrong (must look it up).

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH
Richard B

Post by Richard B »

Thanks to Roger and Bob. I think I will leave well alone for the time being.
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

I've never seen anything about any special coating on a Leader/Arrow barrel - they're just 'standard' caste iron!

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

Don't hone it with anything but a Sunnen type rigid hone. Those bottle brush lead ball things are a disaster. 2 strokes wear bigger near the Port area. Watch out for the transfer cut outs lower down.. IF it's really out of shape bore it taking out the minimum as you cant replace bored out metal. Sometimes a cast iron cylinder is quite hard, but cast in liners are soft due to the temp of the aluminium when cast. Nev