DVLA registration request very slow

Bikes or not. Whatever
dennis.t
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

DVLA registration request very slow

Post by dennis.t »

My 1955 VH500 was purchased by me with no documentation. With the help of our club Registrar and his reassuring information I submitted an application to the DVLA for an age-related registration and applied for historic vehicle status. That was back in mid-August. In early September I was advised that the bike would need an independent inspection and I arranged that for 19th September. Since then I have heard nothing from the DVLA. Is this time frame typical for the DVLA?

Incidentally, I asked the independent inspector how often would restored, unregistered motorcycles be inspected at the request of the DVLA. He said in his experience it is a hit rate of about one in ten. I have restored three unregistered motorcycles and the DVLA requested inspections for all three! Perhaps the DVLA does not like me. All were registered successfully.
Dennis
1955 VH500 alloy head
1956 NH350 restoration in progress
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: DVLA registration request very slow

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi, DVLA do not hurry they are a god to themselves , the last one i done took nearly a year to get it all done :shock:
Paul Gasson
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Paul Gasson »

I applied for an age related number and after 4 weeks was told that the application was rejected because the bike was already on the system. They sent a V62 form to obtain a V5c in my name and the form says it should take 4 weeks to process but don’t call until after 6 weeks. I called after 6 weeks and firstly they said they had not received my paperwork but then changed their mind when they saw the tracking receipt. I was then told that they would escalate and get someone on it. I called back the following week and it hasn’t been allocated to anyone yet. “You do realise we get 70000 applications every week don’t you”.

I heard lots of moans about the speed the DVLA work at but in the past I always had reasonable service, not this time. I don’t think you can rush them and eventually things pop out.
dennis.t
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by dennis.t »

Thanks for the replies. It seems I have to wait patiently. What irks me is the threatening tone of an email from the DVLA which said something to the effect that I have to tax the vehicle or SORN it or face the consequences. Interesting given that I do not have a registration number yet and as I am applying for historic vehicle status no road tax is due!
Dennis
1955 VH500 alloy head
tony.barnett
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by tony.barnett »

dennis.t wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:31 pm Thanks for the replies. It seems I have to wait patiently. What irks me is the threatening tone of an email from the DVLA which said something to the effect that I have to tax the vehicle or SORN it or face the consequences. Interesting given that I do not have a registration number yet and as I am applying for historic vehicle status no road tax is due!
Dennis
Indeed, but you still have to `tax' it, even at zero fee, or SORN it. But of course having a registration number might help...good luck. My 28 took almost a year - but that would seem to be due to someone else using my frame number allegedly...I got my MP to intervene in the end and they soon sorted it out, apologised and compensated me.
KOBI
Swindon Branch Secretary
Ariels - 1913 TT Model, 20 Roadster, 28 Model D, 30 Model B, 38 VH, 52 VH
Velocette MAC, KSS Mk1
dennis.t
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by dennis.t »

Wow Tony, I hope I do not have to wait that long.
Dennis
1955 VH500 alloy head
tony.barnett

Post by tony.barnett »

The last one I had done was completed in under ten days Dennis. Keep ringing them, and if you have no joy - email your MP.
KOBI
Swindon Branch Secretary
Ariels - 1913 TT Model, 20 Roadster, 28 Model D, 30 Model B, 38 VH, 52 VH
Velocette MAC, KSS Mk1
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Hello everyone,
Just to give my experience of the DVLA this year, last week of July I sent three applications to them,

1. Tiger Cub to retain reg number using original log book this was done through Triumph Dating officer, I sent everything to him and he sent it to DVLA. There was an issue with frame number corrosion had made the number almost unreadable but I sent more photos to the Dating Officer and my new V5c arrived end of August, that was fine but I will have a moan, the V5c has Make which should have read Triumph but no ...........DVLA decided it was Triumph Tiger Cub and left the Model box empty, it's annoying we fill out all the forms and still they don't do it right.

2. Application for age related reg number for a 1930 Douglas T6, few issues with the Nova but I sorted that had a vehicle inspection on or around 12th Sept and still waiting to hear anything.

3. Application to correct details on the V5c of my Ariel Sq 4, I bought this machine two years ago maybe more and found the Engine No and Frame No were the same on the V5c the frame number was incorrect so I sent a copy of the dating certificate a covering letter and completed V5c for colour change, frame number change and model change, on the V5c it states Make as being Ariel Square Four, am I being picky? but it's not and I wanted it changed. I have heard nothing about this application so three weeks ago I contacted them and the reply was they hadn't received it and to apply for new V5c (£20 I think) and to place all the new details on the form and they would send me new V5c, I am still waiting, this machine was import from States in 2020 and why the frame number is wrong on the V5c I don't know but the machine could never have been inspected by the DVLA.

Sorry to go on but I want things right, sadly if I hang over my balcony I see the DVLA building, it's ten miles away on top of a hill.

Kind regards to all Colin
dennis.t
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by dennis.t »

Are you sure that is the DVLA building and not Kafka's Castle? Dealing with the DVLA seems like something out of a Kafka novel at times.
Dennis
1955 VH500 alloy head
dennis.t
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by dennis.t »

Good news for me my Registration document V5C arrived today. Total time with the DVLA 10 weeks including an independent inspection of the motorcycle.
Dennis
1955 VH500 alloy head