Reading Matter

Bikes or not. Whatever
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Reading Matter

Post by simon.holyfield »

I'm currently reading this, anyone know it?

[attachment=0]IMG_20230926_231301.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
IMG_20230926_231301.jpg
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
cmfalco
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: Reading Matter

Post by cmfalco »

simon.holyfield wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:14 pmI'm currently reading this, anyone know it?
I'm an obsessive collector of motorcycle books, but two categories typically force me to plug my nose before buying them: 1) any book that has "A Celebration of" in its title, and 2) travelogues. I have the book (because I'm an obsessive collector…), but that doesn't mean I felt compelled to read it. The reviews on Amazon are consistent with my expectations, e.g.:

It all sounded very promising. A long distance trip on a classic motorcycle. However, it soon failed to live up to expectations. This journey seems to have been undertaken by a mechanically inept individual who relied far too heavily on the generosity of others to get him out of every little hole - many of which could have been avoided had the machine been prepared properly. The preparation of this motorcycle that, with its well deserved reputation for reliability, should have breezed through a trip like this, was appalling and a very poor advertisment for the 'expert' professional involved. I'm pleased that I bought this for peanuts. It will not be a book that remains on my shelf.

or

Wilson wrote books on classic British motorcycles but doesn't know how to repair his own. This is a story about him riding a bit, breaking down, calling a contact to rescue him, watching that contact fix his bike (this sequence is repeated many times), and generally mooching his way around part of Africa. To say he unreasonably took advantage of many people is an understatement. One of the most boring and cringe-worthy motorcycle adventure books I've read. Relieved I didn't pay full price.

To be fair, there are a few positive reviews (including two by people who say they hadn't read it yet).
SteveShone

Post by SteveShone »

Bought it, read it and binned it. I found it very disappointing - as has been mentioned it was far from being a good advertisement for Ariel reliability and the expert preparation. Life's too short to spend some of it reading this one.
If you want a really good read try Aurora to Ariel by G Oates - his WW1 Despatch Rider tales are well worth a look too.

Steve
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Roger Gwynn »

Wilson is a well known idiot
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.