Vb600 gearbox query. GB5

Singles, twins and fours.
dez.butterworth

Vb600 gearbox query. GB5

Post by dez.butterworth »

Hi.
Can anyone advise me where the small oil seal on the gear indicator shaft should be fitted please. Is it on the shaft itself against the lip of the bush inside the case, or is it just pushed into the hole behind indicator disc and spring on the outside of the outer case.
Must admit I have not received the part yet from Dragonfly, and when it finds its way into my hand the procedure may be obvious, but in the meantime a little fore knowledge will be useful.
Thanks in advance to any responder.
Dez.
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Vb600 gearbox query. GB5

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi i push my seal on the shaft and into the gearbox casing or if you have got the outer casing off you can just fit the bush into the case
Mick D
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by Mick D »

Hi

It's fitted from the outside, onto the indicator shaft and into the recess in the outer cover, a smear of Vaseline helps. Don't bother fitting it before you fit the outer cover as the action of sleeving the cover over the indicator shaft more often than not pushes the seal out of the recess.

Regards Mick
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

See the exploded view in your parts book on on the Draganfly website. It fits in the recess, followed by the spring, indicator and finally nut.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
dez.butterworth

Post by dez.butterworth »

Thank all for the replies. Just a thought though, it does seem bad engineering practice to have a spring bearing directly onto a rubber seal though. Surely a thin protective shim between the spring and rubber seal would be beneficial.
Thanks again. Dez
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

Except the seal doesn't rotate and is only sealing a gear selector shaft that moves a small amount with each gear change. It is one of the few places unlikely to leak!
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.