Non-invasive indicator installation

General electrical problems
Ian.Lindsay

Non-invasive indicator installation

Post by Ian.Lindsay »

I'd like to fit a set of direction indicators to a FH Huntsmaster for longer trips. However, I don't want them fitted permanently and I'd like them to be easily removed (at least the indicators themselves) if not the handlebar switch, relay and wiring which could remain in place. I don't want to drill holes in anything so I can get the bike back to standard quickly. Does such a kit exist and if so where can I get it? Ideally something that uses suction cups or a clamp bracket. If anyone has fitted similar do you have any pictures? Any help would be much appreciated.
---
Ian

Triumph Street Triple 2016
Ariel FH Huntmaster 1954
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Non-invasive indicator installation

Post by Roger Gwynn »

I mounted mine on brackets bolted to the lower yoke pinch bolts and to the rear mudguard stays (rigid frame). They could easily be unbolted, the difficult part of fitting indicators is to find a suitable switch. The only one regularly seen available is a bit poor quality, the alternative is a modern combination switch from a breaker or a modern dealer. There is not a kit available with brackets, I believe Paul Goff does a kit of indicators, relay and switch. Very small LED flashers are available through accessory outlets.
https://draganfly.co.uk/shop/87477/indi ... 34/#ELE-11 this switch is OK
https://draganfly.co.uk/shop/87396/flas ... olt/#35048 this flasher unit is very good
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
RalphM

Post by RalphM »

Alde sometimes do a kit for pedal cycles though I haven't looked at one it may fit the bill.
Julian Murphy
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by Julian Murphy »

Why do you want to fit indiators?

Safety?

Taking them off would defeat that objective.

The roads can be equally as dangerous on long trips or short trips.
Ian.Lindsay

Post by Ian.Lindsay »

Thanks for that. The indicators Paul Goff sells are all mounting stud types so I'd have to fab up some sort of bracket to attach to the bike so I don't need to drill holes in mudguards etc. and then mount the indicators to the brackets. I need to keep the bike original. Are led indicators polarity sensitive. Will they work with a positive Earth?
---
Ian

Ariel FH Huntmaster 1954
Ian.Lindsay

Post by Ian.Lindsay »

Julian Murphy wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:15 pm Why do you want to fit indiators?

Safety?

Taking them off would defeat that objective.

The roads can be equally as dangerous on long trips or short trips.
Because when you've got a load of gear on the bike; Sleeping bag, tents etc. I'm not sure drivers see your hand signals very well. To be fair I don't think many drivers know what the hand signal for turning right is either. It's a fair point though. Be interested to know what % of us fit aftermarket indicators to classic bikes that weren't fitted to them originally.
---
Ian

Ariel FH Huntmaster 1954
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

You're right about todays drivers not knowing what a hand signal is. They probably think you are pointing at something. In today's traffic you need everything going for you. Visibility vests etc and your follow up vehicle should warn of OLD vehicles ahead. Nev
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

I didn't answer the original question directly To a bike like yours I would fit Indicators and a decent stop light. Timed buttons stop you looking like a 'Blinking " Idiot when you forget to cancel. One each side. Press again if you are stuck in traffic. Nev
simon.holyfield

Post by simon.holyfield »

IanRL wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:15 pm Are led indicators polarity sensitive. Will they work with a positive Earth?
These days, LED bulbs are available that are not polarity sensitive unlike a few years ago. Just be careful what you buy.
You know that you need a LED-specific flasher unit, right?
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
SteveShone

Post by SteveShone »

nevhunter wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:58 am Visibility vests etc and your follow up vehicle should warn of OLD vehicles ahead
Whatever next, Nev? :D
Steve
red-flag-man-running-ahead-of-motor-car-act.png
red-flag-man-running-ahead-of-motor-car-act.png (56.33 KiB) Viewed 543 times