Ariels at auction

Dave.Barkshire
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Ariels at auction

Post by Dave.Barkshire »

There are some Ariels coming up for auction 15 Nov NMM.

https://www.handh.co.uk/auction/search/ ... &pn=1&mc=5
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Ariels at auction

Post by Roger Gwynn »

The frame number given for the model G is stamped on the left side and given as 47632, the correct one appears to be K 3342. In the past the frame has been given as K 7632, when owned by Peter Gasson, which is probably what is in the V5. K 3342 is from a 1931 VF (left over frame) despatched to the Indian sub-continent. It is possible that K 7632 was incorrectly entered or misread on an old log book as 47632 and was transferred to this frame to keep the registration. I have asked H&H for clarification.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
Paul Gasson
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Ariels at auction

Post by Paul Gasson »

Roger, that was my late father and I do not remember that bike, could he have owned it a long time ago, like 1980s?

As children in the 1960s and 70s, we were not told about most of the things done to get a bike on the road. I remember the local Bobby was around to check numbers sometimes, they were generally very agreeable and no dating certificates! I also recall seeing at least two bikes with the same registration number and understood it was not an unusual practice!

They were just old bikes and paper trails and originality didn’t seem to matter as much then, it’s all different now.

The auction bike looks to be a good using bike and I think my father would be pleased that it’s been in regular use.