Monobloc cable elbow

Anything about Ariels
dennis.t
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Monobloc cable elbow

Post by dennis.t »

Will,

Thank for the advice. The magneto does indeed produce a fat blue spark and though that is no guarantee of performance I am going to see what changing the carb does before tracking down other potential issues.
When I can start the bike there is not enough time to adjust the carb before the engine cuts out. I have eliminate fuel starvation by using a temporary tank that hangs from the handle bars. I have double checked the ignition timing and checked that the advance /retard is working. I have checked the carb numerous time including cleaning all airways and checked the float level.
I should get the previously owned carb next week so I will post un update when I have some news.
Dennis
1955 VH500 alloy head
1956 NH350 restoration in progress
dennis.t
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by dennis.t »

Finally got round to replacing the carb cables with ferrule ends and mid-line adjusters and they work fine. The cables have a smoother exit from the carb beneath the tank. I also replaced the carb yesterday with a used item off eBay. The carb has some new parts that I fitted e.g. new needle, and all the jets. I got a good backfire at the first attempt at starting so that is a good sign(!). Ran out of time to make further attempts but I am hopeful that the timing is more or less correct, the new carb shows promise and the magneto is working.
Dennis
1955 VH500 alloy head
ralfpenkert

Post by ralfpenkert »

Hello Will,
its an other bike (panther, monobloc) problem, sorry for that.
How would sound your analysis if a bike starts well but spits and pops when give it some revs.
Rather carb or ignition. Realized a sticking float needle
It got a Thorspark after endless Magneto trouble. Not quit sure about correct ignition.
Ralf
will_curry
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by will_curry »

Ralf,

I assume your Panther is a Model 100 or 120. It sounds like a weak mixture to me.

If the carb has the correct parts and isn't badly worn it could be the adaptor which
connects the carb to the cylinder head where the problem lies.

You could try closing the choke as you open the throttle. If it makes things better it
does suggest the mixture is weak.
ralfpenkert

Post by ralfpenkert »

Hello, you are right. It's a 100.
Thank's a lot for your advise, i will check the flange.
It might be a weak mixture. However i will check the Amal 376.
Sorry again to use the forum for panther questions. Btw i own Ariels too.
Ralf
dennis.t
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by dennis.t »

When checking the new (second hand) carb I thought I would use a new float needle that I bought for the old carb. I was replacing the old carb because of poor starting. Strangely, the new float needle stuck in the closed position; it is the alloy type with rubber tip. I reverted to the nylon type supplied with the new carb and that works fine without sticking. It made me wonder if the poor stating associated with the old carb was a sticking float needle. Poor starting could be due to a number of things and that is why I am replacing the carb but the float needle sticking in the closed position starving fuel is the only obvious problem I have identified. Perhaps that is why when the engine did start it ran for only a couple of minutes before cutting out.
Dennis
1955 VH500 alloy head
dennis.t
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by dennis.t »

Having replaced the carb (see above) I finally managed to start the bike today and ran it for about ten minutes. It idled well and responded to the magneto advance as expected. The bike still does not start easily but once started it runs fine. I am getting used to the starting technique as this is my first motorcycle with a magneto. I found that turning the engine over several times on the kickstart with the valve lifter open seem to 'prime' the engine with fuel making starting more likely. I saw a chap do that when starting his Vincent Black Shadow recently so I gave it a try. I am sure that this is a well known technique. This is in addition to the starting technique given in the owner's manual.
Dennis
1955 VH500 alloy head
MGriffin
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by MGriffin »

I bought 45deg elbows online for both cables attaching to the concentric on my VH.
Attachments
IMG_0027.jpeg
Regards
Michael.

28 Model A
28 Model C
48 Red Hunter
dennis.t
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by dennis.t »