Wanted: 1955 Sq4 Petrol Tank

chris.shearwood
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Wanted: 1955 Sq4 Petrol Tank

Post by chris.shearwood »

A friend of mine who also lives in Canada has recently acquired a 1955 Sq4 with a petrol tank beyond repair. Does anybody have one for sale? Or, failing that, has anyone had a recent, good experience with an Indian built tank? Draganfly's web site says no longer available.
1946 4G and 1951 VH
Chris Sealy

Re: Wanted: 1955 Sq4 Petrol Tank

Post by Chris Sealy »

I bought an Indian made tank for my Squariel. It was made by a guy squinting at a photograph; definitely no engineering drawings, or accurate measurements involved. It has studs on both sides to take the knee pad backing plates; these are three and a half centimetres out of position. I had to drill the backing plates at the very top edges to make them work. Fortunately the four tank fixings were within a centimetre of the correct location, and I only had to file out the holes on the frame a little bit. The chrome looks good, but there is no nickel or copper under it. I use silicone polish to prevent rust. On the plus side, the paint is quite good, after a year, and hasn't washed off yet. Speaking to other people I've found that some have had better experiences, some worse. Tell your friend; if he is forced to buy an Indian one; get it from an importer if possible. Then he can send it back, if not happy.
chris.shearwood

Re: Wanted: 1955 Sq4 Petrol Tank

Post by chris.shearwood »

Hello Chris,
Thank you for taking the time to reply and share your experience. My friend has been offered an original Ariel tank for a very good price by another Forum member. We'll see if he takes advantage of a good opportunity.
Regards, Chris Shearwood
1946 4G and 1951 VH