This is all great stuff.
will_curry
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: Magneto Magnet strength ?

Post by will_curry »

Yes it is rather good stuff.

Once Roger gets on with the challenge there will be a broad path
worn to his workshop by Arielists bearing magnetos, me included.
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Roger Gwynn »

Yes and I am nowhere near Finland ... or Antarctica
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
SEDoan
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by SEDoan »

cmfalco wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:29 pm What this means is the "north" end of a compass needle actually is a little N magnet, since it points toward the pole above Finland that is magnetically south. Where a Lucas manual shows a "N" and "S" pole, those are to be taken as the poles that will attract the ends of a compass needle that would point toward Finland and Antarctica. Are you confused yet?...
Whew! Of course!
This picture in the Lucas instructions had me worried I'd really screwed it up. Just mislabeled the poles. :lol:
MagnetOrientation.jpg
1937 Guzzi GTV, 1939 VH bitsa, 1947 VH, 1981 Guzzi Monza, 1983 Guzzi Lemans
SEDoan
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by SEDoan »

Roger Gwynn wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:11 pm Yes and I am nowhere near Finland ... or Antarctica
Glad this is helpful. Looking forward to seeing what you build up.
1937 Guzzi GTV, 1939 VH bitsa, 1947 VH, 1981 Guzzi Monza, 1983 Guzzi Lemans
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Excellent contributions gents, many thanks.
Once I get my brain 'unfried' I look into harvesting this thread for a Club 'HowTo'. :mrgreen:

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
cmfalco
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by cmfalco »

will_curry wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:16 pmOnce Roger gets on with the challenge there will be a broad path
worn to his workshop by Arielists bearing magnetos, me included.
Even if pole pieces have to be changed for a different type of magneto, the whole process of remagnetizing one might take 2 minutes. Since that isn't an imposition, I've recharged several for acquaintances in town at, ahem, no charge. However, I decline to do any for people out of town. Although it would take the same 2 minutes for the magnetization, the time to unpack, carefully repack, address the shipping label, then drive to a shipper and stand in line to send it would add an hour, which would be an imposition. Plus, if it were damaged or missing on the return, it is the shipper -- me -- who is responsible for filling out all the claim forms and following through.

The nice thing about England is it's so small that you guys all live within 15 minutes of each other. So, one magnetizer in a friendly clubman's hands can do a lot of good. In contrast, the U.S. is a big country, so it requires more than one magnetizer.
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

There's OFTEN other things wrong with the Magneto that have to be attended to before it will work optimally. You can't really do these things for nothing realistically.. Nev
cmfalco

Post by cmfalco »

nevhunter wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:20 amThere's OFTEN other things wrong with the Magneto that have to be attended to before it will work optimally. You can't really do these things for nothing realistically.
Many people are likely to have the necessary tools to work on a magneto. I think the point is that, no matter what has been done to it, if the armature has been out of the housing, it has to be magnetized.

A magneto will work perfectly fine at, say, 1000 rpm even if the armature had been removed and replaced. Where re-magnetization makes a significant difference is at kick starting speeds. Lucas gives 500 rpm (engine) as the normal kick starting speed and 300 rpm as the lower limit. A remagnetized magneto will generate a mixture-igniting spark below 300 rpm, which might not matter to someone who is 18, but becomes increasingly-important as riders become older.
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

Absolutely. It's also fact that when you kick the bike over, right at the Point the spark occurs the actual rate of turning can be very low as it is when idling slow as well. Not having the throttle open far helps this as you only partially fill the cylinder, reducing the effective compression you have to overcome. Nev