NH - KH conversion

Singles, twins and fours.
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

I knew it, I knew it, get anoraks and everyone thinks you are an expert , and you know what we do with experts. We fix 'em. I would do the same.
Any how moving along.... the KH frames are lighter tubing than the fours and the singles, because the twins (500's) don't impose as high a load on them so that might be a factor , if you are doing a "special".. It's more important if you are running a chair on it.
As far as the KH's go they are an interesting thing that (as I recollect) wasn't that popular in Australia. The Triumph's were the choice of the "in" crowd. They were fairly short life items as far as the engines went. The BSA B 33's and Norton ES2's were good runners. Most of them didn't have good air cleaners, so that wouldn't help. Nev
keith.mettam
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by keith.mettam »

Well Nev, as for experts I thought an 'ex' was a 'has been' and a 'spurt' a drip under pressure mate ! In terms of the four stroke road-going swinging arm frames I always thought they were the same across the whole range of models available, KH included, with things like engine plates and spacers etc. being different..........but of course I am not an expert yet !
Regards,
Keith Mettam.
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

Keith, I am more referring to the earlier models. The GB gearbox versions I am not so familiar with, but obviously the twin engines have wider crankcases than the singles which havent changed since the mid 30's in width. Nev
keith.mettam

Post by keith.mettam »

With Harry's 56 NH, presumably a swinging arm model, then changing it to a 500 KH twin shouldn't be too hard to do Nev ? I would imagine once an engine has been sourced that it is just a case of different engine mounting plates and spacers, checking out the primary drive side (cases and chain alignment in case there are gearbox mainshaft issues, although I can't see why there would be) for differences there and maybe changing the final drive sprocket. I don't think this project will be too involved and Harry, if I were you, I would investigate further before selling the NH on.
Regards,
Keith.