Amal 75/014 help!

Bikes or not. Whatever
kjohnson

Re: Amal 75/014 help!

Post by kjohnson »

Hi,
Thankyou everyone for your help, much appreciated.
So just an update, I had a thought this morning about putting a tiny o-ring on the taper of the needle ( which didn’t work)!
I then proceeded to plan B-
Strip carb down, wind several turns of ptfe tape on threads before big brass nut, replace the big fibre washer with 2 washers ( lowering the float chamber a few mil) also 2 fibre washers on top of the banjo bolt, lowering even more. I then refitted the carb and fuel line and turned on the juice, No Leaks !!!
I don’t know whether it was the ptfe or the extra fibre washers? But seems to be working.
Just need to work out how to start now, absolute p***k to kick, if I don’t ride the decompressor lever, the clutch slips and you can’t get enough umph into the motor!
Any tips would be appreciated ;-)
Also, I’ll try and add pictures, but I also seem to have a big brass spring leftover, can’t think where it came from, any idea?
Cheers Kerry.
IMG_8503.jpeg
Attachments
IMG_8506.jpeg
kjohnson

Post by kjohnson »

kjohnson wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:24 pm Hi,
Thankyou everyone for your help, much appreciated.
So just an update, I had a thought this morning about putting a tiny o-ring on the taper of the needle ( which didn’t work)!
I then proceeded to plan B-
Strip carb down, wind several turns of ptfe tape on threads before big brass nut, replace the big fibre washer with 2 washers ( lowering the float chamber a few mil) also 2 fibre washers on top of the banjo bolt, lowering even more. I then refitted the carb and fuel line and turned on the juice, No Leaks !!!
I don’t know whether it was the ptfe or the extra fibre washers? But seems to be working.
Just need to work out how to start now, absolute p***k to kick, if I don’t ride the decompressor lever, the clutch slips and you can’t get enough umph into the motor!
Any tips would be appreciated ;-)
Also, I’ll try and add pictures, but I also seem to have a big brass spring leftover, can’t think where it came from, any idea?
Cheers Kerry.
IMG_8503.jpeg
kjohnson

Post by kjohnson »

IMG_8503.jpeg
IMG_8506.jpeg
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by simon.holyfield »

Put that spring in your box of 'might be useful in the future' bits Kerry. It's not an Amal part.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
kjohnson

Post by kjohnson »

Hi Simon
Yeah, spring is left over from putting the bike back together, can’t remember where it might be for though.
Cheers Kerry.
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Roger Gwynn »

The correct float level is at the top of the mixing chamber nut (the big one on the bottom below the 4 holes). Getting that right on my VA transformed the performance from not a lot to noticeable.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
kjohnson

Post by kjohnson »

Thanks Roger,
I might unscrew the the top of the float chamber and eyeball the height, lowering the float chamber definitely helps though, I could probably get one more fibre washer on top the banjo bolt but wouldn’t like to go much lower unless a longer banjo bolt can be fitted. Just need to get the knack of starting it !!!
Cheers Kerry.
RalphM

Post by RalphM »

Turn on fuel
give carb tickler a press, this is something you have to how much your bike likes,
pull in decompressor, and turn the engine over 2 or 3 times,
drop decompressor and turn engine slowly till it hits compression,
pull decompressor and very slowly turn engine till it is just over compression,
with the advance set about 1/3 rd from full advance and a touch of throttle give it the fabled long swinging kick,
if you get it right the engine will spin fast enough to go over the next comprestion and start,
these are the basics, you will get used to what works on your bike.
kjohnson

Post by kjohnson »

Thankyou for the advice, I’ll give it a go weekend, see what work’s the best.
Cheers for now.
Kerry.
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

There's 2 depths available for the BIG nut. Use the deeper one. The gasket is cardboard not fiber. Comes in the gasket kit. Teflon tape on the threads doesn't do anything. Wear in bowl needle and/or seat will raise the fuel level. Make sure clip stays in place and bowl floats easily when fuel level rises and is not impeded by the lid or the tickler. I reckon the fuel level should be about 4 mm below the main jet top surface. With the modern fuels, tickling is normal for nearly all starts but moreso when it's cold. IF the bike is leaning when you are starting it take that into account. Nev