Tiger Cub rear sprockets?

Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Tiger Cub rear sprockets?

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

There's a mention of using Tiger Cub rear sprockets with the Arrow/Leader, in the the last post in this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=3973&start=10

'...I had also fitted 19 inch Alloy rims but did not fit the larger Tiger Cub rear sprocket as was advised.'

This is with reference to following the steps in a Motorcycle Mechanics article (from about the mid-'60s) on tuning the Arrow. There's part 1 (of a 2-part) Motorcycle Mechanics article in the on-line library, it only references 'a 45-tooth rear wheel sprocket which may be used..'

As far as I know, Leader/ Arrow sprockets are 47-tooth or 49-tooth (for the rarer 200cc bikes), and are solid discs that incorporate a wheel bearing; Cub sprockets only seem to go down to 46-teeth (if bigger rims are fitted the gearing will want to go the other way, up to 49 teeth or more). Cub sprockets are also totally different, they bolt to the rim of the hub (like pre-'56 Ariel 4-strokes).

Maybe the idea of using Tiger Cub sprockets is to turn the teeth off the Arrow sprocket ant bolt (or maybe weld) on the Cub unit as a set of replacement teeth.

Anybody come across this (or have a copy of the article that advises it)?

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
bh.sprint
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: Tiger Cub rear sprockets?

Post by bh.sprint »

Ariel supplied 49,47 and 45 tooth rear sprockets, not seen any 45 tooth ones but have seen a 50 tooth one!

My Arrow has 18 '' wheels and a 52 tooth sprocket- tried a 51 tooth but it was just a little too high . The workshp who made the adaptor from a worn Ariel one have been taken over so may not still do this type of work.
George Todd made some adaptors to add Cub sprockets to the Ariel wheel in the sixties but only seen pictures not the real thing.

Brian H.
Attachments
DSC00534 cropped.jpg
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi i get all my sprockets made by B & C Express Sprockets they also make special sprockets for me and the bike shed there is a post on the forum under suppliers
Peter Holder

Post by Peter Holder »

Hi
In the sixties there was a company producing an alloy sprocket carrier, When I contacted them, 1972 ish they had ceased production but sold me a couple of raw castings & the drawings - perhaps they are out there somewhere !
There were also firms who could reclaim sprockets ( at the cost of 1 tooth) so perhaps that is how there are some non-standard sprockets about !
More recently (in the absence of a casting) I have machined a sprocket carrier from aluminium billet.
Ivor Collins
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Ivor Collins »

You can buy platewheel sprockets of the size you want to fit to an old cast iron carrier which can then be either bolted or welded together.
Attachments
A26A3517-1230-424F-BBD7-22AD9D2C0175.jpeg