Draganfly clutch plates

Bob Tuck

Draganfly clutch plates

Post by Bob Tuck »

Having a lot of clutch slip with new plates. Thinking of cutting some radial grooves to allow any oil to centrifuge out . Would also like some recomendations for oil in the case as everything I have tried is far too slippy.
dave.owen
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Draganfly clutch plates

Post by dave.owen »

All Ariel clutches run dry, are you using cork or bonded plates, there are stronger springs you should fit if using bonded plates.

Dave
AOMCC Treasurer
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by simon.holyfield »

Bob Tuck wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:09 pm Having a lot of clutch slip with new plates. Thinking of cutting some radial grooves to allow any oil to centrifuge out . Would also like some recommendations for oil in the case as everything I have tried is far too slippy.
Have you got oil coming from the drain under the clutch cover? How much oil do you have in the primary case? How much are the clutch spring nuts done up?
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Chaps - I think we're discussing the two-stroke clutches here ('two stroke tech help' - better had be!) ;)
I believe those clutches run in oil!

Brian - if you've not found it with a Forum search this thread might be of some help, although it is a few years old.
viewtopic.php?t=3973&hilit=plates&start=10

(And I'm sure one of the more knowledgeable two-stroke guys will be along with some up-to-date help....)

HTH

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
Bob Tuck

Post by Bob Tuck »

Thanks guys , Yes its an Arrow, No the plates are not cork, they are new synthetic full circle ones supplied by DF . No, the oil level was not too high ,No we did not use synthetic engine oil but it seems very possible that the 2 stroke ("expert" !!!) who worked on the bike before us did use something unsuitable. There are no 80 or30 thou washers on the clutch studs and the clutch was very heavy to use. Clutch does not grip enough to start the bike. Yes there is clearance on cable and pushrod and pushrod is free to move in/out. I think the plates are a disaster . can they be modified to use ? thinking of radial cuts . Can we get the missing washers? do we know the part numbers? , Are we wasting our time with DF ?. Think we may have to run case dry with just a splurge of chain spray now and then. NOT ideal. Villiers reline ?. Anyone got any orriginal plates with cork. Whats the least slippy oil to use?, thinking basic Mower 30 with 50% paraffin. Any old 2 stroke experts out there who are not yet GA GA ?.
ian williams

Post by ian williams »

i use ATF in the primary case .
there is small passageway in rear of chaincase for oiling rear chain by drip feed, there
should be piece of felt in the hole.
there is a fella who has an arrow trials bike , who went to the swindon rally this year , who can bond clutch plates with cork .
i dont have his details im afraid but someone may be able to provide you with them , he resurfaced some plates with cork for me and made them correct thickness .
ian
simon.holyfield

Post by simon.holyfield »

Simon.Gardiner wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:43 pm Chaps - I think we're discussing the two-stroke clutches here ('two stroke tech help' - better had be!) ;)
I believe those clutches run in oil!

HTH

SG
🤦‍♂️ Sorry...
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
Bob Tuck

Post by Bob Tuck »

Its OK Simon, all help is gratefully recieved, and it would not matter even if you were GA GA as you are on the 4 stroke side of forum !!
bh.sprint
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by bh.sprint »

Will reply with more detail later when I have more time. I've used modern plates and found them very poor- sip and drag. Brian H
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Bob Tuck wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:56 am ...There are no 80 or30 thou washers on the clutch studs and the clutch was very heavy to use....
Some comments on washers and heavy clutches here:
viewtopic.php?p=51548&hilit=plates#p51548

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)