production numbers for ariel KH 500

Anything about Ariels
Ronbaxter

production numbers for ariel KH 500

Post by Ronbaxter »

Does anyone have any idea about how many KH500 were produced by Ariel? I have a 1953 500 twin with a plunger frame and I was just wondering how many were built.

Thanks!
paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: production numbers for ariel KH 500

Post by paul.jameson »

13436, including the KHA models, according to the Ariel accountant.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

I made it 13422 by counting the entries in the despatch books! 680 KH in 1953 and 450 KHA, I know of 22 and 25 survivors respectively. I don't have a breakdown by frame type at the moment. Do I have yours on the register?
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

So, why the discrepancy between 13436 and 13422? I suspect it is the difference between the number of bikes which went straight to customers and the number of bikes which included those retained by the factory. As an example, my KHA does not appear in the Despatch Books because it was one of 3 works trials bikes used in the 1952 and 1953 ISDTs. There was another batch of 3 works trials twins with iron engines. Then there was at least one bike (a KHA, with hydraulically damped rear suspension like the trials bikes) "retained by the factory" which was raced in the Isle of Man. So that makes up half of the missing 14 machines.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
Ronbaxter

Post by Ronbaxter »

Thanks for the info. I do not have mine on the register and I think the motor has been re-stamped because it has the wrong prefix. I will get the numbers this weekend and post them just to see what it actually is! It an awesome bike and people love it. It’s was painted blue, unfortunately not the proper Wedgwood, but a nice ford blue and it is a pretty bike. It’s in a small motorcycle museum in pacific grove ca. I have never seen another on the road out here. Fun bike, and a great bike to ride and show as long as you have time to answer loads of questions!