Ariel photo.

Who has my old bike ? What was this bike? Pictures of your old bikes etc
Andy H

Ariel photo.

Post by Andy H »

Found this earlier,thought it may be of interest.Looks like a late mf.ttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125935514415?hash=it ... s%2F1UI0Np
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Ariel photo.

Post by Roger Gwynn »

It is certainly a 1932 MF or MH.
The other bike is a 1927 model E with the engine from a model C, last known owner is a John Harris from Newent in 1985. Assuming I am reading the reg correctly as HA 3483.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
Andy H

Post by Andy H »

thanks Roger,I couldnt remember the mh model. I wonder if the other bike is still around,maybe the reg has gone to something else.Hope all is good with you.
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Andy/Roger
DVLA 'check vehicle tax' for HA 3483:
Vehicle make ARIELD
Date of first registration March 1927
Year of manufacture 1927
Cylinder capacity 500 cc
(etc)

Tax due 27th May 1981
Date of last V5C (logbook) issued 29 October 1984

So I guess the registration number is right and hasn't gone to anything else but the jury must be out on whether the bike is still about!

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
Andy H

Post by Andy H »

Thanks for the info Simon.It would be nice if it did turn up.
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

There's a bit more on this so.....

The photo:
Ariels-near-Porlock-from-ebay.jpg
The ebay description mentioned Spokes of Northampton, and one inhabitant of this Forum thought it might be worth checking with someone from
VMCC Northampton to see if Spokes were well-known. Response below:

Hello Will,
An interesting picture. If it is related to the Spokes family I am fairly certain that the gent on the far left is Percy Spokes wearing his habitual cap, tweed coat and plus fours. I think the youth third from left is Percy’s son Reg. Looking at the bikes I would have put the date as being mid thirties but I could be wrong. By the number of people in the photograph there must be more bikes out of shot.
I don’t know how much you know about the Spokes family, but Percy was an early motorcyclist in Northampton and had a shop in Henry Street with an amazing amount of parts in stock. He could be very obtuse if you went in without a pattern and his stock answer was “where’s yer pattern boy?” However once you’d proved that you weren’t a complete idiot he could be very helpful.
Reg was an accomplished trials rider and rode in a couple of ISDTs and almost rode in the fateful 1938 event.
Reg presented the Section with the Spokes Trophy which is our premier section award.
I hope this is of some interest
All the best

Trevor

I'd not noticed that the photo was taken near Porlock on the A39. That's a stretch of road I'm quite fond of (especially as it's relatively close) so I did a bit more research via Google. Bearing in mind the 'Porlock 3 miles' signpost there can't be many possibilities; I'm going to say the photo was taken at the junction with New Road toll road, which is Pittcombe Head, grid ref SS 841 462 according to the details for surviving AA box 137, which just happens to be an adjacent grade 2 listed structure! Maybe the AA box was the reason for a stop, or maybe they were deciding who would go down Porlock Hill and who would take the easier toll road!

Here are a few screenshots from Google Streetview of what that location looks like today. It's changed a lot but the basic topography is similar (3 miles from Porlock from the other direction is totally different).

PittcombeHead-pic1.png
PittcombeHead-pic2.png
PittcombeHead-pic3.png
(And I think we'll put admin hat on and move this to 'where is it...what was it' 8-) )

SG

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
Andy H

Post by Andy H »

Great info,glad that it stired interest.
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

Excellent research Simon. I googled junctions around Porlock but decided that there were too few identifying features to be successful, obviously gave up too easily! Spokes are listed as Ariel dealers.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
Julian Murphy
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by Julian Murphy »

Simon.

That is great researching.

Good to read a bit of background to an old 'lifeless' (to some) photograph.

Thanks for taking the time.
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

All plaudits gratefully accepted 8-)
However, I fell obliged to mention that t'was Will that got the ball rolling... :oops:

SG