Ariel engine numbering system

Anything about Ariels
robert.clark
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Ariel engine numbering system

Post by robert.clark »

Hi Paul.

Many thanks for that update as always. The 1953 element I had no idea that was the case. All comments taken on board. Mortons editor is on the case and a search of the archives is taking place. We'll see.

Cheers Rob
54 Square Four, 1934 RH500 twin port, 1935 RH 500 twin port, 1936 RH500 single port, 1945 RH500 (1936 ) twin port engine, 1947 VB Buttermilk. Rickman Metisse 500. 1951 350 rigid rat bike.
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Roger Gwynn »

It is certainly the lowest surviving 1954 MKII engine number that is listed on the club's register, not necessarily the earliest as they were not built in number order and 107,109,110 and 116 also exist. There were 5 bikes sent to the Earls Court show, 4 on the 10th of November including yours and one on the 12th. They would almost certainly have back to the factory before being sold as Paul has detailed. It isn't unusual for later dealers to attach their own badge just as used car people do today.
Found a sixth that went to Earls Court, this time for the Canterbury sidecar stand on the 10th. There were 3 other bikes despatched to dealers on the 10th making 15 MKII on that day. Going through the first few pages I have counted 9 bikes with dates earlier than yours, the highest number being 166 that just goes to show how out sequence the numbers are. PL 149 is on the register despatched 9/11/53.
Not a simple subject unfortunately, we would all like to have the first or last one or the lowest or highest number etc. At least this time you have the lowest known number and in the original frame.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
robert.clark
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by robert.clark »

Paul,
Morton's have been in touch but so far have not provided any photos of the Earls Court show of 1953. I've had a look on their website but I think its only a fraction of what they have. A good friend and regular contributor to the paper suggested that the finished article will prompt for them to search internally for the early photos.
One item of its history I realise I didn't include was the frame number.
As far as I know, the bike still has the original frame and its number is KR 122 which suggests 1954. It does have the SU carb fitted, later tank badges etc.
To finalise the article for OBM and Cheval it's pretty obvious I should add any details about the frame.
We know the bike went back to the factory after Earls Court so is it likely it had a frame change / petrol tank / carb update early in 1954.
I wonder if this throws up anything of interest.
Again thanks again for your earlier input.
54 Square Four, 1934 RH500 twin port, 1935 RH 500 twin port, 1936 RH500 single port, 1945 RH500 (1936 ) twin port engine, 1947 VB Buttermilk. Rickman Metisse 500. 1951 350 rigid rat bike.
paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

I have sent you a private message Rob.

Paul
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.