Burman Gearbox Info

Singles, twins and fours.
JoshJ

Burman Gearbox Info

Post by JoshJ »

hey guys,

Chasing bits to get my 48 NG350 back together and this gearbox has come up for sale. Its a Burman CP stamped G67 which looks to be from a 1948 KG/KH500 twin.
Would a 500 twin have used a CP, i thought they would have used the stronger BA?

Other then an obvious tear down, inspection and rebuild where required, is there any reason this couldn't be put to use in my 350?. Im far from a Burman expert and just wanting to check.

Looks as though there may have been a repair on the front cover, bit hard to tell from the pic..will need to clarify with seller.
Pics below

cheers

Josh
Burman1.jpg
Burman2.jpg
Burman3.jpg
Burman4.jpg
Burman5.jpg
Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Burman Gearbox Info

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Josh
I'm not an expert on the CP boxes but the late '40s KG/KH did use them. I suspect it's the same as the box for the 350 except for the mainshaft - certainly the main case has the same part number and Burman (and Ariel!) kept changes to a minimum (changes cost money!).
I'm sure someone else will be along to correct me - or expand on things - if necessary.
The main damage to cases (in my experience) is usually to the clutch cable adjuster lug or the clutch lever pivot lug. Where I think you're looking at could well be scratching from the riding boots....

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
JoshJ

Post by JoshJ »

Simon,

Yes, ive seen many with the cable retaining lug or pivot post broken. This one appears from the outside to be good and damage free and would clean up nicely.

Josh
will_curry
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by will_curry »

As far as I know, even the mainshaft should be the same.

However . . .

There is an amount of surface rust on the clutch freewheel bearing
and the filler cap and the grease nipples are missing. How much
rust will there be inside?
JoshJ

Post by JoshJ »

Gents,

Ive been in contact with Geoff Brown and picked his brains.

cheers

Josh