Square 4 Accuspark fitted

Singles, twins and fours.
MARK.WALSH
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Square 4 Accuspark fitted

Post by MARK.WALSH »

Hi All
with the warmer weather I decided to fit my Accuspark electronic ignition to my Mk1 .square 4
Really simple process with only adapting the base plate to clear the Advance retard weights which added time to the conversion. The bike fired up 1st kick and ran well. I've slowly advanced the distributer to get more accurate timing but for the short distance I've ridden the bike I have found the following;
1 - reduced voltage power drop on the battery compared to points (really useful for town/slow traffic)
2 Better / smother response on acceleration
3 Better idling (partly due to point 1 above I assume)

However - I note on some threads on the forum that owners advise silicon carbon HT leads when fitting these ignition units. Can anyone tell me why these are needed and if there are any problems if copper HT leads are retained?

Many thanks
Mark
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: Square 4 Accuspark fitted

Post by nevhunter »

Copper is required with magnetos but CDI is OK with modern suppression leads. Nev
allan.walker
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by allan.walker »

Hello Mark,
Which Accuspark unit did you use? I've looked on their website and the nearest thing I can see is for an Austin 7.

Allan.
MARK.WALSH
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by MARK.WALSH »

Allen
I simply went by the distributer type as opposed to a particular vehicle. The only requirement is to identify that its a Bakelite base as opposed to a metal base. I ordered my one on ebay around new year.

Regards
Mark
allan.walker

Post by allan.walker »

Thanks, Mark, but I'm still confused (a more frequent situation, as time goes by!)

On the Accuspark website, they list distributors, full kits and modules. Which did you go for? They don't list anything for Ariel, although they do supply parts for Austin 7's. However, I understand that the distributor for an Austin 7 rotates in the opposite direction to a Square 4 one.....

So, would you please let me know which was the particular part which you used?

Cheers,
Allan.
Paul_Linden
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by Paul_Linden »

if i recall correctly, which i occasionally do, then an Accusparc electronic distributor can be ordered as CW or CCW rotation and either positive or negative earth.
Square 4 mk1, Square 4 mk2, BSA C12.
allan.walker

Post by allan.walker »

Aah..thanks, Paul,
That sounds like an Austin 7 type with reverse rotation might be the one.
allan.walker

Post by allan.walker »

A bit of googling brought up a Youtube video showing an Accuspark module fitted to a Mk1.
This was useful because it resolved the question of whether I was looking for a complete distributor or just the module. The video refers to 'kit 39' which can be searched-for on Accuspark's website.

Now, the module only replaces the points, so if the original auto advance is worn-out, there will still be less than ideal running of the engine. However, if the Accuspark draws less current than the standard set-up, as Mark implies, then it could be a worhwhile modification for around £50.

It's a pity that an electronic distributor, with electronic advance/retard, is not available for Square Fours....or is there?
daveleek
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by daveleek »

Allan,there are distributors available from 123 Ignitions,have a look at Cheval magazine February 2017
MARK.WALSH
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by MARK.WALSH »

Hi Allen

On your last to me - I simply ordered a DK4 ignition set for a + earth. I dont think CW OR CCW will affect its operation and this refers more to the rotor arm and possibly advance / retard unit.
I have a small amount of wear on the distributor spindle and electronic ignition overcomes this . Pic attached from ebay.
s-l500dkx4.jpg
s-l500dkx4.jpg (41.37 KiB) Viewed 336 times