Iron Head - Barrel Gap

Singles, twins and fours.
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Iron Head - Barrel Gap

Post by simon.holyfield »

Guys,

Having reground my cylinder head joint face, I find the gap to the barrel face is about 0.020". Given that this has not been resleeved and has been running like that for donkeys years, is it acceptable?
IMG_20230521_183151.jpg
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Iron Head - Barrel Gap

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

I'd say leave it as it is - contact with the outer level when tightened is apparently to stop heads distorting and I don't think Ariel heads do.
Also, the head runs hotter than the barrel and less of a heat path into the barrel should mean a cooler barrel...
(Info from Phil Irving, 'Tuning for Speed' ;) )

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
simon.holyfield

Post by simon.holyfield »

Simon.Gardiner wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 1:46 pm I'd say leave it as it is - contact with the outer level when tightened is apparently to stop heads distorting and I don't think Ariel heads do.
Also, the head runs hotter than the barrel and less of a heat path into the barrel should mean a cooler barrel...
(Info from Phil Irving, 'Tuning for Speed' ;) )

SG
If Slide Rule said it, it's good enough for me. What page in his book?
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Carefully read the short section 'Cylinder Head Joints' in the chapter 'Top Half Reassembly'.
(I'm using the 6th edition but I don't think this bit is substantially different to earlier editions.)
You might need to apply a bit of reverse-logic in places. For example, the advice about how a broad joint can assist the head cooling by facilitating a flow of heat from under the exhaust seat area into the barrel....
I don't think you've got an issue with the exhaust valve or seat, you might be more interested in not having the barrel assist with cylinder head cooling (or at any rate, not any more than it has been for the last donkey's years! ;) )

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

In my experience the double lapped head/barrel Joint on the cast iron OHV Ariels is the best in the game. Next best thing for reliability to having it one piece (as the 1916 Harley 8 valve racers had). and many Bugatti's. Nev
charles.bulloch
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by charles.bulloch »

I am a bit surprised at the advice on lapping in the head to the barrel. On my 38 VH engine there is a gap of very roughly half a millimeter between the head and barrel on the outside surface so there is no point in putting grinding paste anywhere else than on the spigot. Is this normal?
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

It is normal to have a gap where there should be one, it is only necessary to use coarse paste to create a gap lost by lapping in the joint. I suspect that several hours of lapping would be required unless there was very little gap in the first place.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.