1947 Ariel VB Rear engine plates?

Singles, twins and fours.
Syd.Kallechy

1947 Ariel VB Rear engine plates?

Post by Syd.Kallechy »

Hi All,

I haven't posted on here in a very long time!
I have a buddy who recently purchased a Basket Case '47 VB from me that was missing the rear engine plates. We've found several on eBay but wonder if anyone could shed some light on the differences between the various models/years that he should look out for. I did contact Draganfly to see if they had any in their used stock for him but the sets they have are supposedly not for VB (Maybe swinging arm?). At any rate if you could advise any differences it would be helpful (or maybe photo's?) and much appreciated. (I thought they were all similar in the prior to 1952 range with the plunger or hard tail frames... his is hardtail?)

Thanks in advance!

Syd
(now back in Canada)
Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: 1947 Ariel VB Rear engine plates?

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

I think they can all be made to fit and there's no inherent difference between the SV and OHV singles, or plunger and rigid.
There are a couple of detail differences to take into consideration. The later models with the 'roundy' oil tank ('52 on I think) use the top gearbox stud for the oil-tank bottom mountings. Earlier bikes use a separate stud in the timing-side engine plate. The later engine plate still has the hole so it's easy enough to braze in a stud.
There can also be some differences with the footrest mounting arrangements, most have a stud in each plate that locates in the footrest hanger to prevent it turning but I think there are some about that just have a hole, with no stud. Not sure if I've ever seen any like that but I seem to recall seeing some discussion about it on the Forum.
Waiting for someone to come along and prove me totally wrong.... :D

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
Syd.Kallechy

Re: 1947 Ariel VB Rear engine plates?

Post by Syd.Kallechy »

Thanks Simon...I did think they were interchangeable so sounds like its just the difference between footpeg styles her needs to worry about

thanbks again