Clutch needle roller journal

specifications, colours, contract nos, variations etc
FOR GENERAL ENGINE AND GEARBOX, USE THE FOUR STROKE TECHNICAL FORUM
Dave S

Clutch needle roller journal

Post by Dave S »

Doing a cosmetic overhaul on my '40 W/NG has involved removing the clutch.
Spinning the basket by hand before removal didn't sound as smooth as I would expect.
After removing the clutch basket the journal on the mainshaft which the needle rollers run on is found to have indentations from the needle rollers.
Is there any off-the-shelf remedy for this other than a new gearbox mainshaft?
The obvious solution which occurs to me is to grind down the worn surface of the mainshaft and fit a hardened sleeve.
Anybody taken that approach before?
Still on the steep part of the Ariel learning curve so I'm hoping this problem is old news to the rest of you!
Thanks in anticipation.
Dave.
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Clutch needle roller journal

Post by Roger Gwynn »

I would be very surprised if there are indents in the bearing surface as it is very hard, are you sure they are not just marks where it has been stationary for some time. If not a replacement shaft would be the cheapest and easiest way to go as they are reasonably common.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
Dave S

Post by Dave S »

Hi Roger, thanks for your reply.
Definitely indents which are deep enough to feel with my finger nail and in a regular pattern all the way around corresponding to the staggered arrangement of the rollers. Otherwise clean and shiny, no signs of corrosion or staining.
Hoping they are available I've asked Draganfly to quote for a new shaft, if not I'll have it ground down to accept a sleeve.
Dave.
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Dave - might be worth a word with Club gearbox spares....

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
Mick D
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Sounds like brinelling, caused by worn a worn bearing assembly impacting the shaft during use, there's no way to repair this other than shaft / bearing replacement. Yes, you could sleeve etc. but in my estimate it would be more expensive and less successful.

Regards Mick
Dave S

Post by Dave S »

Thanks, agreed.
First see if a new shaft is available - thanks Simon, yes I've messaged gearbox spares guru Geoff, see if he can help.
Otherwise grind and sleeve.
If of any interest to others for one-off and batch work I can't recommend too highly M&S precision grinding in Wolverhampton.
They are familiar with bike stuff and regularly do batches for Andover Norton etc.
They've helped me out with several bike related jobs, plus if they don't do it they tend to know where it can be done...
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

If the indents match the position of the rollers it's been caused by corrosion not by fatigue of the surface. Lap it lightly and use it. It won't deteriorate very fast and when it's turning it has no load unless the chain is too tight, except briefly when you are taking off. Put new rollers in of the correct diameter and see how you go. It's unlikely to do further damage. Nev
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Dave

Why not post a photo of the damage, if it is brinelling it can only get worse! Lapping can only increase, (or maintain), the apparent wear between the bearing and shaft and, by it's nature, brinelling will continue / accelerate. Every time the clutch is engaged the rollers will align with the indents with a shock load and cause localised damage. If it's evidence of corrosion and you do not completely remove it, it will just initiate brinelling!

Regards Mick
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

Corrosion and brinelling are completely different things. No catastrophic failure is likely to happen if you give it a go. I did say LIGHTLY lap. If it was a big end it would be another matter entirely.. You can always look around for a new shaft. In the meantime the bike is back on the road. Nev
Dave S

Post by Dave S »

Pic attached.
Indentations continue all the way around.
Attachments
IMG_0603.JPG