!943 Red Hunter for sale with trader

Bikes or not. Whatever
petecranwell

!943 Red Hunter for sale with trader

Post by petecranwell »

Hi All. I'm looking to tap into the vast amount of knowledge available on this forum. I've been searching for a pre-war BSA M23 Empire-Star for a long time now and have reached the point where, I think that the bike for me is not out there! I'm now thinking that it might be easier to find a Red Hunter either pre-war or just post war, An example with girder forks and a twin port head/high level exhausts would be my dream. I've seen a bike thats currently being advertised by 'Village Motorcycles' registered as 'GXA918' They are claiming that this is a 1943 R/Hunter. Even with my very limited knowledge of Aerials, I'm thinking that there are things here that are not right. Were they still making R/Hunters in 1943 or was all production put over to WNG's?. This example has a plunger rear end and teles in place of girder forks, I'm thinking that cannot be correct. Hopefully, someone here will know of the bike and if not, people will be able to advise if this is a bike to consider or just another case of a dealer trying to claim something that's not quite true? I'm thinking that at that price, it should be somewhere near to correct, what do you think? I will await news whilst sitting down. Many Thanks, Pete
Attachments
1943 R-Hunter.jpg
Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: !943 Red Hunter for sale with trader

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

No way is that a '43
Front end is 1951-on (complete with long-eared headlight 'brackets').
Panel tank is pre-'51·
On ebay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234995876480 ... SwHapkUPu2
Asking £8,250
(write-up says 1st reg March 1946....)

Take 6k off the asking price....!! :roll:

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by simon.holyfield »

I looked at that this morning, it's way off the mark and if the NMM restored that as a 43 bike I'd want to know why, especially with the Anstey frame. Engine is probably 43, frame might be 46 (first year of the Anstey link I believe) and the front end may have had a smack.

I'd go and have a look at this instead:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314562721221 ... media=COPY
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

It was owned by a club member in 2022 and he supplied the details to the register. It is a 1939 NH frame with a 1939 VH engine, the date comes from the registration that, somewhat implausibly is March 1943. The first Ansty suspension was 1939 with eccentric wheel adjusters and should have a centre stand it also has the wrong forks, although the were the official replacement from the early 1950's, Wrong rear number plate and tail light.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
Vincent.vanGinneke

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

But it does look very nice!
If the tank has two speedo cable funnels it is a Indian repro.
(one from the right hand rear and another straight up above the rockerboxes)
speedo cable now makes a route that makes me think a Chronometric is fitted.
Asking price is -I think- maybe 1 or 1.5K over. But it does cost to restore a VH getting to look like this.
Up to you , if you like it enough put in a bid and use the knowledge from here to get a lower price.
petecranwell

Post by petecranwell »

Hi All. If I was to buy this bike and accept it for what it currently is, how easy/costly would it be to return it to a girder front end? Are the parts around? I assume the front hub would be different as well as the headlight etc. All thoughts appreciated. Cheers, Pete
robjameson
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by robjameson »

Hi Pete,

Girder forks and front hubs are very rare, and subsequently very expensive. If you need to re-blade them that also adds expense. The headlight is also a larger diameter, and the mudguard is different too, although you will probably get away with just making a new stay.

All in all, dependent on whether you can build wheels, find a decent set of girders etc, I would suggest it will cost between £2-3000 to put it to ‘standard’.

I have seen more original examples for similar money, if original is what you want, maybe best to hold on for another.

Rob
Rob Jameson
AOMCC Member Number 4068
1957 Ariel VH
1954 Ariel KH
1948 Ariel 4G with 1920's Ariel Sidecar/Triumph Chassis
AOMCC Twin Spares Organiser
Vincent.vanGinneke

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

Beware of Indian made girders, they are about.....