Stafford Show 2023

Anything about Ariels
paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Stafford Show 2023

Post by paul.jameson »

Whilst many of the active members of the AOMCC were in Cornwall on the Long Distance Run, a few of us were representing the Club at Stafford. Both Allan Simpson and I thought that the fact it was 70 years since the Coronation year of 1953 with its unique option of bikes in Wedgewood Blue, was too good to miss. So, 6 bikes all in Wedgewood Blue it would be, with a backdrop of some recently acquired photos of the factory, taken in 1953. Some union jack bunting would set the scene along with Jim Sweeney's workshop and petrol pump. Entry to the stand was over a mat replicating the original entrance to the Ariel Service Department at Selly Oak, artwork courtesy of Vincent van Ginneke and Herman Noort.
Ariel_Stand_0S9A1586.jpg
We received much praise for the stand as one of the best at the Show and probably the most topical, bearing in mind that the next coronation is next week. The backdrop photos attracted much attention and a certain club member, attempting to look like Ariel General Manager Ken Whistance in one of the photos, managed instead to look very dodgy indeed.
image1.jpeg
Lee Mallabone won a Highly Commended with his VHA. Allan Simpson's VHA was fitted with the leading link forks which were supposed to be used in 1953 but which never made it into production following the death of the man championing them, Ted Crabtree. Jim Deveraux and Paul Rigby showed their Square Fours and Dave Owen and I brought along our KHAs.

Much debate was had about which was the correct shade of Wedgwood Blue. At least two of the bikes present had been painted using original samples to obtain the correct shade. They were very different in colour from each other! A third shade exists but that one is even more like battleship grey. So why did Ariel offer Wedgwood Blue for one year only? It was said to be the Queen's favourite colour and there are many photos of her wearing this colour - in all its variations so this may be true. As for the spelling, it is Wedgwood in the sales literature and Wedgewood in the parts book so take your pick!
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
JohnnyBeckett

Re: Stafford Show 2023

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi it was very nice stand and show i would like to see the AOMCC stand at kempton park back again
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

Definitely a dodgy geezer, but a top display, well done Paul. You were probably a bit drier than we were down in Cornwall but we had fun in the mud and the rain, the German contingent and I even managed the whole course.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
Ian.Taylor
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by Ian.Taylor »

What a nice display, I'll take Lee's VHA which is a well deserved Win !
Karol Burger
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by Karol Burger »

you exhibited beautiful pieces. I will have to focus on these younger models as well. I am beginning to discover their beauty.
Ariel 500 E - 1927 /Ariel SF-1931 ,Ariel SB - 1932 / Ariel 4F6 - 1932, 1934 / AOMCC Slovakia Branch Secretary

https://www.arielklub.sk/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/322716757874756
https://www.facebook.com/ArielKlub.sk
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Brilliant display - and well done Lee, thoroughly deserved!

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
john.mitchell

Post by john.mitchell »

I have only just seen the pics of the Stafford Show. I don't think I have ever seen a better display of Ariels.

John Mitchell
John Mitchell
Ex Editor Cheval de Fer (1998-2021)
Leejm

Post by Leejm »

Thank you gents
1948 NH, BSA D10 SPORTS. 1953 VHA, 1951 KH rigid project.