New forum member

Bikes or not. Whatever
JoshJ

New forum member

Post by JoshJ »

Hi guys,

Firstly, I hope I have posted this in the correct area, mods please move if incorrect.

New forum member here from Perth, Western Australia. Have been riding since i was a little tacka on mainly Japanese bikes. Currently do a lot of adventure riding on a heavily modified DR790.

Have built a few engines and bikes over the years and have always been keen to find myself an Ariel but i just didn’t get around to it. Well that is until a few days ago, I’ve just picked myself a rigid frame, serial number prefix BP which I believe puts in the years 46-48 and either a NG or NH. I have also picked up a BK prefixed 350 engine that is 90% complete. Engine comes in an old cut down frame with front mount and rear engine/magnadyno mount…engine is on the other side of the country, just got to get it here!!

So the task of tracking down bits and pieces starts. I’m off to visit a guy who has a bit of gear for British bikes on Saturday morning, said he may have an oil tank, would anyone have some pics of the correct oil tank showing location of mounting points and the oil feed and return lines. I’ve got a bit of an idea what they look like but want to be sure. Some pics from all angles would be awesome.

Anyway, cheers for allowing me in. I look forward to the task of getting this old gal back on the road and will no doubt be on here a bit picking the brains of those more knowledgeable.

To add, I have ordered the certificates from Draganfly for both the frame and the engine, I look forward to finding out a little of their history.

Cheers

Josh
EC2553A5-A7A1-4479-B624-76ED6D40CBBE.png
C74EA0C5-76BE-45A7-88DE-AC0E38C5696A.png
32804C13-D789-4225-B576-1ACCE99E36A4.png
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: New forum member

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi Josh welcome to the forum i think you need to join the AOMCC you will get a lot of information and parts from the club and the club spares for your ariel , and Drags and a lot of help off the Forum members and you can some find parts on EBAY
JoshJ

Post by JoshJ »

Hi John,

Great idea, I wasn’t aware that it was open to people outside the UK..I see that it is so have printed out a form.

Thanks

Josh
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi Josh good luck with your ariel and keep us informed on the forum how you are getting on with the rebuild
JoshJ

Post by JoshJ »

Will do John, cheers😊
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

You have taken the correct first steps! 1 buy an Ariel, 2 get a dating cert to find out what you have and 3 join the club. I would have advised buying something a little more complete as the proper parts will take a long time to find, although my experience of Australians is that they take all the bikes apart, mix the parts up and build them back up again. Before you get upset at me, it was an Australian that told me that!

I will send you a couple of photos to show what the bike should look like when I process your membership application.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
JoshJ

Post by JoshJ »

Hi Roger,

You are correct, If i was to buy a complete bike i would have stripped it down anyway as im quiet fussy and like to know things are done right. I enjoy the build and the process of gathering parts and am looking forward to it.

I have emailed you through the membership application and have made payment via paypal.

cheers

Josh
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

There's quite a few Aussies here Josh so don't be shy. ARIELS. I had my first one in 1954. You don't rev any of them like the Japanese stuff you've owned. My bike was then 18 years old, was a runner and cost 3 pounds ten shillings and was an original RH 350. That's a while back now.. Nev
JoshJ

Post by JoshJ »

Hi Nev,

I’ll be taking it easy on the old gal when I get her up and running mate, want her to last so will be looking after her.

See you’re over in Victoria, that’s where I purchased the engine from, just gotta work out a way to get it over to Perth.
Got a couple of jobs done on the frame today, I found a broken bolt on what I believe to be a primary case mount on the lower left side on the frame, was a sod to get out but got him in the end. Also patched up a hole on what I believe is called the breather bracket on the lower right side, not sure how it got there..looked like gravel rash.

Few pics of the patch up job, squared out the hole with a dremmel then cut a small piece of plate to fit in the hole. Welded her in with the mig and it’s come up ok.
4AFD8D36-AF3A-43A4-8EEC-C8261FB840C9.jpeg
A7BF18FB-9063-4CEE-9E60-2DDD524931E4.jpeg
BAC51CA2-07C2-497D-86B1-A40D9EB771B3.jpeg
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

The lug in your pic that you have neatly repaired is for a 'P' clip to hold the exhaust pipe in place.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.