ammeter for ariel leader

PaulWoolley

ammeter for ariel leader

Post by PaulWoolley »

Good morning,
Can you advise please.
My 6 volt ammeter needs replacing it shows +30 to -30
I can only find ammeters either showing nothing or showing -8 to +8, does it make any difference or can i use one of these.
cheers
paul
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: ammeter for ariel leader

Post by Roger Gwynn »

See answers to previous post!
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
PaulWoolley

Post by PaulWoolley »

Hi Roger
Thanks for that I thought the previous post hadn't gone thro.
cheers
Paul
keith.mettam
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by keith.mettam »

Paul your ammeter is the wrong one. With a plus and minus 30 amp range it will be for a car. The correct ammeter for a Leader (as shown in the 1959 Lucas parts catalogue for Ariel Motorcycles) is a Lucas CZU 27 36084F model. These have a range of plus and minus 8 Amps, have a black face and are also fitted to all late Ariel four strokes apart from the Square Four. Original ammeters are not marked with the plus and minus 8 range. All the 'Lucas' replicas I have seen, however, are marked with plus and minus 8. They are 1 3/4" diameter and will be ok for your Leader. There are other replicas that are not 'Lucas' marked but have the range unmarked. These are much cheaper, look pretty much like the originals and are also a replacement. Check out the 'Feked' website where you have the choice of both sorts keenly priced. Voltage is not an issue with ammeters as they purely measure current. All the best with it.
Regards, Keith.
PS. Have just noticed this posting is in the Two Stroke Knowledgebase section which you need to be logged in to view. Suggest my answer is left here with the post for others who rarely / don't or can't log in to see and help.
PaulWoolley

Post by PaulWoolley »

Hi Keith
Thanks that clears things up for me.
cheers
Paul