battery

PaulWoolley

battery

Post by PaulWoolley »

Hi
can anyone help please,
Is there a 6v sealed battery that can be used for my ariel leader instead of the one that requires filling
cheers
Paul
paul.darnell

Re: battery

Post by paul.darnell »

Yes, I have put this AGM battery into my Arrow. However, I strongly recommend that you get a combined regulator/rectifier to prevent over-charging.

https://motorcyclepartswarehouse.co.uk/ ... f0QAvD_BwE
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Roger Gwynn »

I agree with Paul although I am unsure if the reg/rect is good accurate enough for a sealed battery. Generally these batteries are for modern tightly controlled charging systems not our old steam type and even modern regulators may not be good enough. Having said that I have been using the small sealed batteries for years and they can be ignored, hold their charge and still recover when charged from a low voltage.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
paul.darnell

Post by paul.darnell »

I have used sealed AGM batteries with modern electronic reg/rec for at least 5 years on several bikes with no issues. They hold their charge very well when not in use, such as through the winter, and then spring back to life when required. It also avoids Sulphuric Acid fumes attacking the metalwork, as it did in my old Tiger Cub before I changed to AGM.
PaulWoolley

Post by PaulWoolley »

Hi all
Thanks very much for your advice, I have already fitted a reg/rec and I don't relish the idea of messing about with acid so it's a sealed battery for me.
Cheers
Paul
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi i use a Gel battery with standard charging with no problems and they take along time to go flat when they are standing