Any accuspark experts out there?

Singles, twins and fours.
MARK.WALSH
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Any accuspark experts out there?

Post by MARK.WALSH »

Hi all
Just thought id do an upgrade on my 1952 Ariel square 4 electrics and replace the points with an accuspark ignition system.

I thought this would be straightforward enough, but when I removed the points baseplate and all the gubbins and replaced it with the new accuspark one, it immediately became apparent that on screwing it down that it rubbed against the advance / retard mechanism binding up the whole shaft. Anyone else had this problem when fitting the new baseplate?
I'm sure I have the right unit but wondered if any additional mods had to be made

Thanks
Mark
Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Any accuspark experts out there?

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Mark
I'm not an expert but from others?
'....open out the central hole in the plate to clear the advance/retard unit....drill/tap two 3mm holes to relocate the sensor unit to give distributor adjustment without fouling the oil tank....'
viewtopic.php?p=73295&hilit=accuspark#p73295

HTH

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
daveleek
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by daveleek »

Mark, I got the Accuspark ignition and had exactly the same problem as you,if you look at Draganflys electronic ignition IGN-15 it has a metal spacer under the baseplate, there must be differences between the car and motorcycle distributors somewhere
MARK.WALSH
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by MARK.WALSH »

Thanks for the prompt reply chaps - really helpful.
At least I now know its not just me - always more work than anticipated with these straight forward mods.

Thanks again
mark