Magdyno etc rain protection

Anything about Ariels
bevanclark
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Magdyno etc rain protection

Post by bevanclark »

Hi folks,
I confess that although I have ridden many times in heavy rain, it has never been on a magdyno powered bike.
I am due to ride a couple of hundred miles to a N.Z. Ariel rally this weekend and the weather looks a bit dodgy at present.
What precautions, if any, should I take on my 1950 VB ?
Cheers, Bevan
pete.collings
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: Magdyno etc rain protection

Post by pete.collings »

For the dynamo, use a piece of old inner tube cut to cover the brush end, overlapping the body/end cover gaps.
For the magneto, ensure the entry point of the HT lead into the pickup is sealed, there are tight fitting sleeves to help this, but they may not be available at short notice. Perhaps a bit of waterproof tape around the end cover/end plate gap, check the endcap has a small drainhole in the bottom position, and take a can of WD40 or similar moisture dispersing spray.
No doubt, someone else will come up with other suggestions!
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi i give my mag a good spray with damp start ignition sealer it leaves a film on it and stops damp and water getting in the mag
will_curry

Post by will_curry »

I've been using plasticene to seal both the end cap and the HT pickup for many years
and as long as the breather in the end cap isn't blocked it works very well. If that breather
gets blocked condensation forms in the cap and eventually fouls the points.

The beauty of plasticene is that it is reusable, even at the roadside.
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

Mounted where it is , I've had little trouble in that regard, Shorting out around the HT pickup use the rubber thingys that go on most distributor caps. Nev
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

The advance -retard cable attach can allow water to enter if you don't use the original rubber sheath. That ends up in the part where the points are. Petroleum Jelly can help the HT wire where it enters the HT pickup.. Nev
Eero.Korhonen

Post by Eero.Korhonen »

In my experience, the ride stops when the magneto points cup is full of water. So put that cup so that the hole is pointing down.
Br, Eero
Ariel VH 1954, IZH 350 1962, H-D Sportster Hugger 1992, AOMCC Member 133
bevanclark
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by bevanclark »

Thanks folks, I've located some waterproof tape so will use that. Heading off shortly with rain forecast for later and tomorrow, so we shall see !
Cheers, Bevan
bevanclark
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by bevanclark »

Well. It wasn't rain I needed to worry about.
A few miles short if my destination the VB started pumping its oil onto the road - about half a tank full. Oil return has failed. I'd say the mag has copped a fair amount of oil, judging by the oil on the platform, but ia still going. Clutch is oil free, but when it was running, I could see oil pouring out from around the rear chain area of the inner case. Not obviously coming out of the timing side breather which is odd
Have taken return pump ball & spring out and refitted, but no sign of return when I kicked numerous times and even started the engine briefly. Have adequate tools, except, guess what I forgot - Allen keys so couldn't remove the pump body this evening. Will try to buy some in this small town tomorrow morning, but not hopeful.
Sigh.
Could be an expensive van hire to get the bike back home if I can't get it sorted.
Cheers, Bevan
Bevan
paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

You might get away with cleaning the pump without taking it off but it is likely several goes could be needed, depending where your speck of dirt is. When you have the ball and spring out, turn the engine over a few times to try and blow your speck of dirt out by the action of the plunger. Once you get it going again, don't be in too much of a rush to refill the oil tank because you will get a lot back out of the sump into the tank once it is working.

Good luck!

P.S. Here in the UK it is pretty standard to have a recovery service included as part of vintage vehicle insurance.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.