Paint colour

General talk about the W/NG
Dave S

Paint colour

Post by Dave S »

Hi, I've just found what appears to be traces of original paint on my 1940 W/NG (inside the chainguard) in the process of removing the black civvy colour which is no doubt from sometime post war.
For a 1940 model I would have expected the colour to be Khaki Green number 3, but the traces I've uncovered are distinctly more yellowish than KG3.
Anyone know of an alternative shade having been used around that time? Or is it simply down to variations in the original KG3?
Thanks, Dave.
SteveShone

Re: Paint colour

Post by SteveShone »

Helo, Dave. Im no expert on WD machines, but is it yellow enough to have been 'desert camouflage'? Were Ariels used in the sandy theatres of war? ;)

Steve
Dave S

Post by Dave S »

Hi Steve, thanks for the suggestion.
Likewise I'm largely ignorant about WD colours, but it's more a yellowish shade of Khaki green than the standard shade of KG3 - which I have, and have offered up next to it to compare - so it's not brown or buff enough to be maybe for desert camouflage? But who knows??
Bottom line is I'll try to match it as it at least appears to be original to the bike, whatever it is.
Vincent.vanGinneke
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

Hello Dave,
you could try asking this on the WD motorcycle forum
http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/ ... 39&frmid=0
Mainly for the BSA M20/21 models but there are a few forum members that are very knowledgeable.
Dave S

Post by Dave S »

Hi Vincent, thanks re WM20 website, yes, I keep tabs on that already.
To try to narrow things down before asking any more questions I'm going to try to find a match for the paint samples that remain on my bike to see if it corresponds to a known colour.
Also found more traces of it on the insides of the rear guard forked stay...
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

In my "junk" I found an oil tank that had black over the original Khaki which when carefully removed showed the original colour well. I had that matched for rattle cans in acrylic enamel in a place in Melbourne (AUS). This make an original paint or touch up very simple..I can supply the Place and Paint name and code# which may be convenient to around here if anyone thinks it might be helpful. Nev
Dave S

Post by Dave S »

Hi Nev, I'd be interested to see what your original shade of Khaki looks like, if you could provide details of your paint match code please I'll attempt to track it down here in UK.
Regards, Dave.
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

Dave, I have a can in my hand and it's acrylic LACQUER. which is better. The match to the original sample was perfect and I've used it on3 bikes over about 6 years. It's Eastern Auto Paints Pty Ltd .ARIEL MILITARY GREEN 526 Powdercoat colour. Their address is 20 London Drive Bayswater 3153. Victoria Australia
Ph 03 9761 2155.
www.autopaints.com.au.
Touch up is simplicty itself. Small areas just blend in with the correct MATT finish. IF you have some rubbish underneath it may crocodile but that is rare, Saves a packet over time doing it yourself with NO Clear required, Nev
Dave S

Post by Dave S »

Thanks Nev, I'll drop them a line, see if they can provide a paint code which is recognisable in UK.
Dave.
ian.scott
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by ian.scott »

Dave S wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:45 am Thanks Nev, I'll drop them a line, see if they can provide a paint code which is recognisable in UK.
Dave.
I always thought there was no "standard" WD colour just what was mixed up at the time.

Ian