Painting

Anything about Ariels
Keith.owen
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Painting

Post by Keith.owen »

Can anyone provide me with some constructive advice on a number of pint related topics/

Firstly, concerning the genral paint finish on Ariels produced in 1950 was the genral finish matt , gloss or a mixture and what tupes of paint were used, i.e. was the frame stove enamelled and the tin ware painted with gloss, by hand or what? Before I lauch into repainting my machine which was last painted in 1976 with Cellulose I'd be interested in feloow Arielists experiences and or advice /comments.

Draganfly have specifiied a paint spec for the red hunter's red finsih, but the question is 'waht sort of paint will stick to chromed surfcaes asucha s wheels, or is some special prepartion required?

Finally, does anyone know who can or how it is possible to attain the correct shape for the painted panels on the tank/ Do any templates exist? I did try to copy the vestiges of polished / un polished chrome on mine but with little success.

Any assistance would be much assisted. Perhaps some one knows some one that can, or knows. I see lots of pictires of beautifully finished machines, so, the knowledge must be out there somewhere. I'd like to get my VH back to the sort of condition in which it left the factory but not better than!!!

Thanks in anticipation for any input!!

Cheers!!

Keith

:mrgreen:
Wali.Badger.Taylor
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: Painting

Post by Wali.Badger.Taylor »

From our good friends in Denmark.
Tank templates
Dave.Barkshire
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by Dave.Barkshire »

I know nothing about painting but if you have a google you should find one pages about how to paint over chrome. Here is one for example...
http://www.ehow.com/how_4422511_paint-o ... rface.html

The paint on Ariels was gloss. However, many highly restored Ariels are more glossy than they would have been when they left the factory. An expert may be along soon to give some proper details.
robjameson

Post by robjameson »

I use cellulose, when painting on to chrome, i just get a key with some scotchbrite pad or fine wet and dry paper then apply etch primer, primer filler, top coats.

Rob
Rob Jameson
AOMCC Member Number 4068
1957 Ariel VH
1954 Ariel KH
1948 Ariel 4G with 1920's Ariel Sidecar/Triumph Chassis
AOMCC Twin Spares Organiser
Keith.owen

Post by Keith.owen »

Hi there!
Thanks for the input on this!

Although mistakes are not irreverisble they are costly and there is no point in repeating other people's mistakes. Any additional thoughts will continue to be appreciated.

Keith
Keith Owen
Editor Cheval de Fer
1950 Rigid Ariel VH
1951 Rigid Ariel NH (under construction)
1973 Norton 850 Commando Interstate