A new member with BAP problems

Singles, twins and fours.
SteveShone

A new member with BAP problems

Post by SteveShone »

Good morning, folks. I am a recent addition to the AOMCC and am currently doing my best to revitalise a a machine that seems to be fighting me all the way :? Whilst I had a 1958 NH for some years at the end of last summer I did a deal and took on a 1937 machine, it being of an age that interested me more - I think it's the girder forks that does it!
The machine is a 3-owner one and began life as a 1937 NH Red Hunter. Then prior to 1950 it had a 1940, ex-Air Ministry 500 engine fitted and became bolted to a sidecar. The engine is an enclosed valve type though perhaps it began life as a 500 SV (engine number is a CH- and has what would have been the oil drain for the valve chest between the pushrod tubes blanked off - it also has the oil drain that would have come from the OHV inlet to the crankcase at back of the barrel blanked off too, so who knows?). At this time the owner was an AA patrolman - I found his insurance certificate from 1960 among the paperwork. Having spoken to the chap who restored the bike in the 90s, he recalled that it had many BSA parts fitted which isn't surprising as the owner would have had access, legitimately or otherwise, to a ready supply :D
The chap I got it from is a local VMCC member and bought the bike in 2000 and used it on just a few runs before leaving it in his shed and drifted off to Japanese machines.
As rescued, the machine was cosmetically good if grubby and needed a good coat of looking at - this is it arriving on a trailer at its new home.
Ariel.jpg
As Roger G has pointed out to me, it still has the 350 tank without space for the 500 valve gear so is propped up on stilts (creating another problem with tank clearance from the handlebars) and the oil tank is still the smaller 350 one. However it's not a bad looking machine.
Ove the last couple of weeks I made a start on getting it ready for the new season and uncovered lots of badges that I've steadily been correcting and actuall got it running a couple of days ago. It sounded pretty good with its freshly reground valves, replacement little end bush and new rings.
Then yesterday I decided to tackle the inoperative speedo cable. The spade end drive had broken off - it has actually been broken previously and some muppet thought that soldering the broken ends back together would work! Needless to say it didn't and the spade end had dropped into the outer casing of the box and despite my best efforts couldn't be manoeuvred out. So, off came the outer casing. It was then I found that the spade end had jammed the drive gear which had promptly lost a batch of its teeth. Fortunately the worm drive on the end of the layshaft escaped any damage.
Ariel speedo drive.jpg
I am now considering my options - I'm awaiting a call back from Geoff Brown to see if he has a spare driven gear, in the meantime I am considering how it may be salvaged. One option would be to machine away one end or the other of the worm to allow the layshaft to engage with an undamged portion of the driven gear. It would need some alteration to the spacing to acheive that. Any other suggestions out there? (Using a Garmin 200 GPS as a speedo is being considered)
Ive also placed a wanted ad just in case Geoff can't assist.
viewtopic.php?p=92905#p92905
Any observations/suggestions will be gratefully received. I really need to get this bike off the 'operating table' as I have a 1949 Matchless 500 in need of a new gearbox oil seal and a 1937 Sunbeam Lion that needs its oil pump looking at - not to mention my 1926 AJS 500 restoration that is currently held up due to it being too cold to finish the paintwork. Not easy being retired is it?
A long story and I hope it hasn't bored you too much.
Steve
markus.nikot
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: A new member with BAP problems

Post by markus.nikot »

If you like to hear my personal experience and opinion.
It could be, if you repair the drive you'll then discover that the speedo doesn't work. It is always expensive and could only last for a short time. If it works the result you see is a flickering needle - that's it.
I gave it up, It is nice having the correct one in the hole and a small and cheap bicycle speedo will do the job.

Go and ride the Ariel
Markus
AOMCC German Branch Secretary
some Ariel - only Ariel
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Roger Gwynn »

I do the same as Markus
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
SteveShone

Post by SteveShone »

Its definitely a thought, chaps, but the speedo has been rebuilt atsome point because it is immaculate. I suspect that it wasnt working for long as it has only 128 miles recorded on both the odo and the trip. Ive tried driving it with my recharcheable drill and it seems to work as a chrono should - who knows how accurately of course? It would be nice to get it working as there is already a club type repro oil gauge with no connection to the engine and what should be an inspection lamp is also a dummy. One can accept only so many duff components 😉

Steve
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

There are different ratios but presumably your gears matched right till the overload happened. You could glass blast the worn bit and use nickel bronze to build the damaged bit up then turn it to size and cut the gears with a hacksaw carefully and finish off with a nail file If you spend the time it will work fine. Nickel bronze is excellent for skew gears. (One of them) Dissimilar metals are better than two in hardened steel but it's not loaded much in normal service. Nev
SteveShone

Post by SteveShone »

That's an option I'd not even considered but worth a thought. I've had a message from Geoff B - he has a kit which involves replacing the worm gear on the end of the layshaft and fitting a matched spindle. Life's never straight forward is it :(

Steve