prewar sidestand

Bikes or not. Whatever
jj.palmer
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: prewar sidestand

Post by jj.palmer »

Simon, the foot of the stand extends 75mm beyond the outside diameter of the silencer when in the "up" position.
Initially I made and fitted a wooden mock-up, then, with the aid of lifting tackle and an overhead beam the bike was leaned over at an extreme riding angle to ensure that there was sufficient ground clearance when the stand was in the "up" position. As of to date the stand as never contacted the ground when riding.
Most of the parts were made on the Mini Lathe prior to welding together as an assembly, see attached.

John P.
Attachments
S6005739.JPG
Henning G
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Henning G »

Wow, lot of possibilities, but I think the one Vincent had made for his Triumph looks great, because it’s almost invisible. The Royal Enfield is great as well, Thanks a lot. I still wonder why the original goes to the RH side…
SteveShone

Post by SteveShone »

john.davies wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:03 am
Some other members have also used a side stand from a modern Royal Enfield that can be bought off Ebay and adapted.
A shame I'd not seen this post earlier when considering a sidestand for my '37 500, it would have saved a bit of head scratching, though I ended up going pretty much the same route - a 20 quid Royal Enfield stand off ebay being the starting point.
I extended the mounting bracket with some 8mm steel, which gave me chance to play with my TIG welder. I was pretty pleased with the result, though in fairness it should be fairly difficult to blow a hole in 8mm steel :roll:
I then turned up a 20mm diameter spacer, shouldered to fit in the engine plate hole and standing half an inch proud to bring the plate level with the lower engine/frame stud. A bit of careful drilling combined with a good guess allowed it to fit nicely. It was then simply a question of heating up the stand with the acetylene spanner to allow it to curve around the frame/chaincase. A tang brazed on to the foot allows it to be reached easily.
It sits just below the lower frame rail so is well out of the way, though it has reduced ground clearance a little - which shouldn't be a worry with a rigid frame and a desire to avoid green-laning on the old girl.
For twenty quid and an afternoon's entertainment, I was satisfied with the result.
sidestand 1.jpg
That's not the lounge carpet by the way!
sidestand 2.jpg
sidestand 3.jpg
Steve
PS If anyone has a spare end cap for that dynamo, let me know :D