Stepped piston rings

Stu.B

Stepped piston rings

Post by Stu.B »

I am renewing the piston rings on my arrow and just bought new ones from drags. They now supply stepped replacement rings. The original pistons are good and the pegs have to be filed down for the new rings but I can’t find what the gap should be. Its going to be a lot less than the non stepped rings which should be 70 to 73 thou according to the workshop manual.
Stu
Trev Sellars

Re: Stepped piston rings

Post by Trev Sellars »

I have never heard of filing down the ring stops "Pegs". These are a critical element to the piston, to stop the rings from rotating in the groove.
Normally you file the ring as its the sacrificial element of the set up.
Mind you I could be wrong
Last edited by Trev Sellars on Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stu.B

Post by Stu.B »

The stepped rings are all that Drags supply for the original ariel pistons filing down the peg still retains the ring in its correct position all I am not sure about is what gap should I leave.
Ivor Collins
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Ivor Collins »

Am I right in assuming you’re trying to fit stepped rings to ‘original’ Ariel pistons?
I hadn’t thought about it before but guess it’s an option if the thickness matched the groove exactly
If this is the case, as already suggested, why wouldn’t you remove some of the step from the ring rather than attack the peg?
Trev Sellars

Post by Trev Sellars »

Try this link, they sell original or copies of the ariel arrow piston rings
https://www.fwthornton.co.uk/motorcycle ... riel-parts
Trev Sellars

Post by Trev Sellars »

Found this The ring gap should be around 0.4 to 0.5% of the piston diameter and can be measured by placing the ring in the cylinder and using a feeler gauge. Normally it is not needed to modify the ring gap.
youtube link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQFKajkPGUM