Ariel Riding and Fixing 2023

Bikes or not. Whatever
Steven.Carter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: Ariel Riding and Fixing 2023

Post by Steven.Carter »

Yes it is 28mm. I have my needle cliped on to the bottom rung. You should try a 200 main jet and see what happens
phil.trotter

Post by phil.trotter »

Steve, do you have to remove the magneto from the bike to fit the Thorspark? I bought a Huntmaster a few years ago with a Thorspark already fitted and it always started first or second kick, hot or cold. Whilst I agree that a good magneto is the preferred option, I have several bikes in desperate need of magneto surgery that I might get to ride again for £150 and a few hours fiddling with wires.
If the operation is reversable then there appears to be nothing to lose.
SteveShone

Post by SteveShone »

Ive fitted a Thorspark to two bikes - a Matchless and a Panther. Theres no need to remove the mag and its easily reversible should you change your mind. The only issues are with setting the timing up - it needs to be done with a strobe light for full accuracy as the felt tip mark for the trigger point on the sensor is at best 'near enough'. The second point is that there must be a good thick earth cable from the battery to the frame - a spade connector using a single wire aint good enough. Without a good earth you can tend to get a little flurry of sparks rather than one good big un! I use AGM batteries with bolted terminals and a double length of 17amp wire.
Battery drain is minimal too because the coil is only charging for the instant it is triggered, unlike the usual points system which connects the coil during the whole time the points are closed.

Steveb
Steven.Carter

Post by Steven.Carter »

Good answer for me Steve, thanks To be honest my thorspark has been fitted a few years and I'd forgotten how I fitted it.
I suppose the only thing to be a bit concerned about is making sure the wire to the unit isn't under any undue strain as it has to move a bit for the manual advance retard
20230224_191548.jpg
Steven.Carter

Post by Steven.Carter »

Talking electricity I've got to make a lead from my bike to the caravan with a 5 pin waterproof plug. I can run the lead from my top box which has lights indicators and even the brake wire all residing all inside. I was babysitting my 5 year old Grandson this evening so brought the lot over to my Daughters and took the opportunity to teach Ethan electrical continuity. He got bored fast and left me to watch Captain America :D
IMG-20230225-WA0007.jpg
phil.trotter

Post by phil.trotter »

Thanks Steve(s), this information is so useful especially for those us who are not naturally electrical. I also have a sparkless Panther which will be the guinea pig for my first foray into electronics. I've recently read "The Perfected Motorcycle" by Nick Adams and was impressed how his bike always started so easily in varying Canadian weather conditions and it was toward the end of the book that he mentions his Thorspark ignition. I even contacted Nick just to make sure I hadn't misunderstood. I also prefer stuff to be original and wouldn't consider this option were it not reversible.
Steven.Carter

Post by Steven.Carter »

With the fairing fitted and the standard Ariel handlebars sharp turns will remove fingers against the screen :oops: My Huntmaster with a fairing has specially made Avon handlebars. After much searching I found these, I think for a modern AJS.
20230301_152505.jpg
Nearly already for the Iron Horse just two sleeps away
20230301_152200.jpg
Steven.Carter

Post by Steven.Carter »

Early start for Dent :shock:
20230303_051125.jpg

80 miles done and stopped for a Porrage, very nice.
20230303_065105.jpg
I'm a bit oily
20230303_065251.jpg
ralfpenkert

Post by ralfpenkert »

Hello Steve "chapeau".
That early.
My VH500 looks exactly like yours.
Always a bit oily.
Couldn't figure out the reason.
If you have an idea please tell.