Front brake cable source

specifications, colours, contract nos, variations etc
FOR GENERAL ENGINE AND GEARBOX, USE THE FOUR STROKE TECHNICAL FORUM
Adz.F
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Front brake cable source

Post by Adz.F »

Can anyone assist me with the correct front brake cable dimensions and a source for them please?

The one from drags for the girder forks is 16.5 inch sleeve and 19.5 inch cable, but after trying to fit it this is way too short for my 45!

All pictures I have seen of WNG's have plenty of length and is routed through the headlamp brackets.

Many thanks in advance

Adam
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Front brake cable source

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi i use JJ cables for all my cables he is very good and he will know the sizes you need
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by simon.holyfield »

Adz.F wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:42 pm Can anyone assist me with the correct front brake cable dimensions and a source for them please?

The one from drags for the girder forks is 16.5 inch sleeve and 19.5 inch cable, but after trying to fit it this is way too short for my 45!

All pictures I have seen of WNG's have plenty of length and is routed through the headlamp brackets.

Many thanks in advance

Adam
Sorry if this is obvious, but you realise the cable doesn't go all the way to the brake drum? There's a long rod as well?
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
Adz.F
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Adz.F »

Johnny,

Thank you will look him up!

Simon,

Yes I have the rod, adjuster and the anchor fitted to the forks, the cable just seems to be at least 3 inches too short and that's if I route it directly from the rod to the bars.

Cheers

Adam
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

Do you have standard bars? Does the cable supplied match the dimensions listed because I know that they are correct.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
Adz.F
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Adz.F »

Roger,

It seems to measure correctly, they are the 1 inch tapered to 7/8 inch bars. I have rotated them forward and it is closer to fitting but not sure the bars look right as they now sweep up a little rather than back.

I am going to take it off of the ramp over Christmas and see if compressing the forks will make it fit right. I just assumed that with a bike off its wheels it should still reach ok!

Thank you for the replies.

Adam
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

It should still fit with the forks extended.
TAB 42 WNG49.JPG
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

I've a couple of W/NG's out the back at the moment . Do you need a length measured? Nev
Adz.F
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Adz.F »

Thank you for the replies, Rogers picture shows how I am attempting to route it. Mine measures 16.5 inch sleeve and 19.5 inch cable. Mine has the non rubber type handle bar clamps. I guess there is nothing to say my forks are correctly assembled so will have a proper look over it during the Christmas holidays. I will take some pictures too.

Nev, if you had a spare 5 minutes over the coming weeks measuring would be great please but i'm pretty confident that Roger is correct, it must be something with my setup.

Many thanks

Adam
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

Will do.. Nev