arrow engine rebuilds

Bmead

arrow engine rebuilds

Post by Bmead »

Hi To all,going back to my youth,just purchased a 1961 Arrow golden sports,At present i am stripping the old girl down,does anyone know of a company that can re bore and fit new bushes / pistons etc,in Lancashire or near by please..best regards Bill
dave.owen
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by dave.owen »

Bill
The best man for 2 sttroke engine builds is John Ellis number in Cheval , he lives near Swindon
Dave
AOMCC Treasurer
Graham.Goral
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Graham.Goral »

Bill, If you don't get an offer of help locally and want to use John Ellis, I live in Lancs and regularly visit the Swindon area so can drop it off and pick it up if that helps. PM me if you need to chat.
Bmead

Re: engine rebuild

Post by Bmead »

Graham.Goral wrote:Bill, If you don't get an offer of help locally and want to use John Ellis, I live in Lancs and regularly visit the Swindon area so can drop it off and pick it up if that helps. PM me if you need to chat.
Hi Graham,many, many thanks for your help,will contact John Ellis and let you know,best regards Bill
mark.garvey

Post by mark.garvey »

Hi, I am new to this posting messages (please forgive me if I make a mistake). I have an Ariel Arrow 1964 but it won't start. It appears to have good compression, timing appears right, good spark etc. Spark plugs do get very black and oily looking. Can anyone advise me? Thanks, Mark
dave.owen

Post by dave.owen »

depends how long the engine has been standing, the seals may have gone hard,which would make starting/running difficult

dave
AOMCC Treasurer
brenton.roy

Post by brenton.roy »

Hi Mark, welcome to our forum.
Can I ask how long it is since the engine was running and whether you know how long ago it was rebuilt.
It may well be the seals, as Dave suggests.
Other possibles are fuel - flooding or starvation and a weak spark (looks ok, but fails under load).
There is a fairly comprehensive thread about this issue.
Brenton
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
mark.garvey

Re: arrow engine rebuilds

Post by mark.garvey »

Hi again,

Thanks for you help. There is a weak spark on the near side but my feeling is that seals are worn or gone. It was 'sitting up' for a long time, perhaps years. I live in Dublin. Can anyone advise in the UK or Ireland my best place to start for someone to take the engine to fix and what are the seals called?

Again, many thanks to all

Mark
bh.sprint
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: arrow engine rebuilds

Post by bh.sprint »

Hi MARK,

If the seals have gone hard then replace them with viton seals .They are a bit more expensive but last much longer with modern fuels.

Brian.H.