1960's Trials Sidecar Wanted

johnsmith1

1960's Trials Sidecar Wanted

Post by johnsmith1 »

I am looking for a 1960's Trials Sidecar to fit to my VH.
Anything considered, but I would really like the sidecar to have a backend, not just a step. It is not for serious competition, just fun.
Condition is not too important as I will probably re-built it anyway. It would just be good to have an original to base it on rather than starting from scratch.
I am sure most of these were scrapped when people bought the outfits to use the bike for pre 65, but hopefully someone had room in their shed or garage to hold on to one.
Thanks,
John
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: 1960's Trials Sidecar Wanted

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi i would ring john budgen , or if you are near kempton park there is a big bike autojumble and off road bike show on the 3 dec i have seen a few off road sidecars ever year i go for sale , and we got one there for my mates off road bike before the lock down ( it is the London classic bike show )
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi John, i am going to kempton park on saturday i will see if John Bugden has packup :?: and i will see i i can get some numbers of sidecars for sale and i will let you know
johnsmith1

Post by johnsmith1 »

Thanks Johnny,
That would be very kind indeed.
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi john i was trying to send you a pm i went to kempton park yesterday and i think it was the poorest autojumble and show i have been to at kempton there was not a lot of regular sellers or bikes or parts and no side cars and no one to talk to about one, i know it was a bit cold and windy, but i have been at kempton when it has been pouring down and there was a lots more for sale :cry: :roll:
johnsmith1

Post by johnsmith1 »

Hi Johnny,
Thanks for letting me know, and thanks very much for looking.
I am not in any great hurry and I am sure something will turn up. If not I will just have to stop being lazy and make one, like they used to do. There are plenty of photographs and I have got several old magazine articles giving details.
It's a shame about Kempton. I do wonder if Jumbles are beginning to die out. It's so much easier to put things on line, rather than having to load up a van and sit in the cold all day. It will be very sad if they do as they are a good meeting place apart from anything else.
Thanks again for your help,
John
Steve.Smith

Post by Steve.Smith »

Hi John,
I think I still have an old trials sidecar kicking about. I am up in Scotland between Edinburgh and Glasgow so if that is of any use I will dig it out and send some photos. I was going to fit it to a Bultaco years ago but ended up selling the bike.
Steve
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

The Last trials outfit I rode had a 197cc Villiers in it. I managed to put the bike OVER the sidecar. Not very elegant at all. Nev
TonyBaxter
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by TonyBaxter »

JohnnyBeckett wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:39 pm i went to kempton park yesterday and i think it was the poorest autojumble and show i have been to at kempton there was not a lot of regular sellers or bikes or parts and no side cars and no one to talk to about one, i know it was a bit cold and windy, but i have been at kempton when it has been pouring down and there was a lots more for sale :cry: :roll:
I am a stallholder at kempton, and to some extent I agree things have slowed the last few years, but; since COVID the stalls were ranged out further across the site than before, and Andy Kitchen of Mortons is thinking they might move things around a bit to make it less thinned out. Of course a few of the stallholders have packed up, some sadly because they are no longer with us. Chris from Meriden off-road died of cancer 18 months ago, he had the stall next to us. I was there this month, both on the stall and in the show with Brooklands, and I thought it was reasonable busy. Though I didn't see John Budgen.
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi Tony i did not know they was using the upstairs ( there was no signs the show ) till i spoke to a speedway rider where is the engineering show that was at the show that wen he told me it was upstairs but that was not a lot of good , lets hope its better next year, because we have lost a lot of good stallholders and friends in the last two years , and happy Christmas and new year to you