WHICH RECTIFIER FOR LEADER

PaulWoolley

WHICH RECTIFIER FOR LEADER

Post by PaulWoolley »

Hi

I need a RECTIFIER for my resto.. should it be a reg/RECTIFIER or is the cheap £7 solid state RECTIFIER any good. Thanks paul
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: WHICH RECTIFIER FOR LEADER

Post by Roger Gwynn »

The solid state ones work very well but they are only a rectifier and not a regulator. the combined regulator and rectifier is a better system as it controls the rate of charge to the battery based on demand instead of guessing it using the light switch!
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
will_curry
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by will_curry »

It's not uncommon to find corrosion damage to the bodywork around the
battery carrier caused by the battery being overcharged and spraying acid
over the works. I'll be using a combined regulator and rectifier when I finally
get to that stage with my Arrow.
ian williams

Post by ian williams »

your best bet would be an AO services A REG 6 , see links below .
they do say to use minimum 5ah battery but the leader/arrows use bigger than this anyway .
these units use very very little residual current in the sensing circuit , so wont flatten your battery very quickly , i have the dynamo regulator they do and it only draws 0.15ma , which would take a couple of years or more to flatten the 12ah battery , i will put the A REG 6 into my leader and cafe racer .
i did previously have a wassell make regulator in my NH but it flattened battery in 2 days !! and have now swapped to the AO services one and my battery stays up all the time at present however long it is left [still connected ] .
if you have a leader with indicators fitted and are out riding one day and you find it misfires when the indicators are on , you can bet the battery is either not much good anymore or its pretty much gone flat , sometimes may be idea to carry a small 6v sealed battery in the toolbox or your pocket just in case .
regards, ian
http://www.aoservices.co.uk/a_reg.htm
file:///C:/Users/hp/Downloads/a-o-services.pdf
paul.darnell

Post by paul.darnell »

I recommend using a combined regulator/rectifier for all the reasons above, plus you can fit an AGM battery without fear of damage and LED lights which are happier with a regulated supply. I use an Elektrex one which can be 6V or 12V, depending on whether you snip a certain cable or not. It easily fits in the same position as the standard rectifier.

https://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalo ... ml#SID=439
PaulWoolley

Post by PaulWoolley »

Hi. Thanks for the advice, I will go with the A reg 6